Spot?

captchuck

1st Mate
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Out fishing for bass yesterday and for definitely not the first time there was a boat next to me catching bass with live spot while everyone including me were using live bunker unsuccessfully. Anyone ever use spot and more importantly what techniques are used for catching them?

Blacktide

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
You can catch the spot on porgy rigs using clams. Although they seemed to have recently left the area. There were some guys that were selling them live to certain tackle shops.

Estimator

1st Mate
Boat Make
43 Torres
Spot

In Montauk they are a hot item but they cost 6.50 a piece. I prefer to use live porgies and have used spot but like the porgies better.
I find that using a 3 way swivel with a 10-12' leader works best and when I started the longer leader I caught more.
I also use circle hooks when using the live bait. Just how I like to fish.

Parttime

1st Mate
Here in Maryland the price is 50 cents each.

We use a J hook and 3 to 4' leader. Hook the Spot at the dorsal fin, add weight as needed and let the spot do the swimming. The Striper usually will try to swallow the Spot head first, so patience is needed on the time before retrieving.

captchuck

1st Mate
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Yea @$6 is what they are for me too and that just gets extreme especially if there are blues around etc. I'm determined to learn to catch them if its possible by me. especially since on some mornings I will spend a significant amount of time looking for bunker and trying to get a cast net on them etc. I don't see much of a difference between that and trying to pick up a few spot on a specific piece of structure.
And being that FI inlet is no Montauk bait can really change your day in a dramatic way!

chuggy

Deckhand
Here in Maryland the price is 50 cents each.

We use a J hook and 3 to 4' leader. Hook the Spot at the dorsal fin, add weight as needed and let the spot do the swimming. The Striper usually will try to swallow the Spot head first, so patience is needed on the time before retrieving.

In Cape May, use 3-4 leader with circle hook and fish finder rig. I have hooked the fish through the nose and the dorsal with equal success. I have considered bridling them as well but my fingers are just too cold in Nov/Dec that I never feel like messing with that. Spot=striper candy.

Top Bottom