Spring commissioning suggestions for diesels

Linesiders

Lieutenant Commander
Looking to start a thread for information on what you guys do in order to get your diesel engines ready for the season.

More specificallly looking for suggestions from people who fish far offshore and want everything top notch.

I have an Isuzu 226 mechanical diesel so if anyone has any suggestions specific to that engine, I'll take them too, Thanks.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I give mine a shot of vodka and slap her around a little - just to remind her who's boss. After she calms down I go over my connections and belts, swap out the zincs and tickle her turbo (that really gets her revved up).

When she's in the water and we tool around a bit to get her all warmed up and a baseline for the season it's time to swap the fluids around, drain out all that old winter oil and slip in some new amber gold. Lubrication is key, never go in dry. Change out all the filters and take her for a spin to make sure there are no surprises.

I like to prime my injection pump by hand until I hear the overflow bypass engage a few times before I hit the start button. I suppose I really should pull the feed line off my turbo and slip some oil down in there before she fires up, but I never do. Be sure to drain your water separator as well before you fire up, get rid of as much debris and contaminants that might be in there so that they don't go bouncing around the fuel bowl.

YankeeFPT

Commander
Website
www.yankeemarina.com
Boat Make
If it floats we will be glad to work on it.
1. Check all fluids.
2. Inspect engine
3. Check engine stop device
3. Fire off the engine
4. Look for leaks, listen for issue, use a flashlight.
5. Idle up and let come up to temp.
6. When up to temp idle back down, bump fwd and bump rev.
7. Shut down engine. Check neutral safety switch.
8. Put engine cover back on and restart. Listen again.
9. DUN!

Or have us do it at Yankee Marina & Boatyard.

When the engine is warming up I usually check everything else. Steering, Bilge pumps, etc.

YankeeFPT

Commander
Website
www.yankeemarina.com
Boat Make
To add to my comment there is nothing better than a seatrail. I have found a lot of what would have been vacation or boat trip spoilers on a pre-season seatrail. I may not own a boat myself, but when I do I would probable grab one of the other mechanics from my yard to go for a boat ride. Another, fresh set of eyes never hurts.

Linesiders

Lieutenant Commander
Boats a season old to me, so to clarify, I might need to do some regular maintance as well.

To be offshore ready,

I should probably,

1. change the impeller
2. change the belt? they look o.k., but swap em out
and keep the older ones as spares?
3. How often do you change the coolant? zincs on that are changed annually any other zincs on the motor itself?
4.Having the heat exchanger boiled out, is that normal maintance, ever few years?
5. I changed the oil as part of the winterization, heard its better to do it that way, so I should be good there.
6. new fuel filters
7. transmission fluid
8. paint up any chipped paint

Anything else? comments on the above?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Why not fall oil change First Team? Any particular reason?

YankeeFPT

Commander
Website
www.yankeemarina.com
Boat Make
I usually write the date and hours on the cover plate and any filters on my customers boats so I know when there due. Decommissioning season we change out all oils and filter. Heat ex-changers and impellers every two to three years, but sooner if required. Commissioning and seatrail is to check winter work if it couldn't be checked during the winter. Also and most important, to check the boat to make sure the owner is going to have a trouble free season. I do suggest if you are not a mechanic by trade spend the money to have someone check out the boat for the season.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Why not fall oil change First Team? Any particular reason?

Agree, maybe not so much acid in the old oil nowadays as in past, but get it out in the winter and while it is still warm and mixed.

Splinters

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Egg Harbor
I was entertaining the idea of using Barnackle Buster in my cooling system on my engines and Air conditioners. Any thoughts good or bad. I have 2 6BTAs and clean the after coolers every other year. They are due this year. Wondering if BBuster would suffice. No heat problems with engines all good.

Top Bottom