Spring tuna

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Whats the earliest some of you guys make it out to the canyons? I know I pushed June which a decade ago seemed a bit early but got fish... Then recently heard of fish in May.

I of course know we are only talking yellowfin/bigeye here as I want to sell them and know bluefin is closed that early...

I also know it depends on eddy's and their water temps... of which I dont have access out here to get a feeling...

Just with some people fishing in December last year, got me wondering how far I need to go and to consider if a spring eddy comes up...

or how far south do I need to go, LOL...

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Spring fever? Lol. The earliest I have caught yf is may 18th but that was a very rare Eddie pushed into the Atlantis. Third week in June is normally my first thought at running. Xmas week was the latest I ever caught yf.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I just want to get the RP35 down into the canyons where she belongs! My earliest was June 4th, but I know I can beat that this year :)

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Yellowfin sell for about $15-25lb...

We'll thats what you see on WICKED TUNA anyway... lol

My prices have always varied from $1.25 to $4.00 depending on timing and core size. Would say average is closer to $2.25.

greg

Captain
Yeah, the sst's are pretty bleak for anything but bft for quite a distance out. While there is a good slug of 60'ish water south of veatch to hydro, there is no warmer gulf water anywhere north of the carolinas.

Some years we salivate over true stream water doing a peeka boo way out east. Of course, even if an eddy does break off it reabsorbs before it even comes close to oceanographer. But it's fun to watch and dream of a may/june run.

Not going on right now.

Rutgers is ok to watch during the winter, but I would never plan a trip based on it. It's far too crude and unregistered. But fun to watch. And free.

I'm still waiting for a few dry 50 degree days just to paint. And not just an hour or two....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom