Stainless Tubing

AGM

Ensign
I want to build a custom Bimini frame. What do I need to know about bending stainless tubing? Can I do this myself, or am I asking for trouble? Heat, or no heat? 7/8" or 1"? Any advise or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Use 1" diameter stainless with .062 wall thickness. Anything thinner will tend to kink when it's bent, and 7/8" diameter is too flimsy. You can make the bends with a "low buck" manual tubing bender from McMaster Carr. Make sure it is designed for 1" TUBING, not pipe. NO HEAT. I used one of those benders to fab part of a hard top years ago and it did the job fine. I'm only assuming they still sell that same model. Way back then it was about $100. The easiest way and sometimes even the cheapest is to just pay someone to do it who has the right skills and equipment. You're the one who has to live with it and look at it every time you jump on board. Good luck with the outcome.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I've used one of those conduit benders in a sturdy vice. Small bends, mark a reference on the tubbing before starting, masking tape marking the "top" for example. Definitely an art.

Cool Boat

Commander
To keep from marring the stainless I've been told that the guys who do this for a living use nylon or some other type of plastic rollers on their equipment. Just a thought, any chance your local marina has some derelict with a bimini frame you could recycle?

AGL

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Martin
Boat Make
Custom
I have bent chrome-moly tubing for motorcycles and airplanes with "bendalloy." You melt it, fill tube with it and it becomes a solid bar that you can bend without kinking or collapsing. It melts at 70C (160F) Although there are a lot of trade names for it, I had some made up by non-ferrous foundry about 40 years ago. I've still got it. Oddly, I don't see much on-line about it, but this can get you started:

It wasn't expensive, and you just need enough to fill the tube you are bending. It's really soft, so the extra effort over bending the stainless won't be much.

To give you an idea what you can do with it, check out the picture of the hand control for the rudder so that papaplegics can fly. It's just to the left of the stick.

100_1272.JPG

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Pack with dry sand, pack down solid. Cap the ends using your fittings and setscrews. Two guys can bend 7/8 around a telephone pole but it ain't easy.
Why not take your measurements to the salvage place in Quincy, MA, he has piles of tops & get something you can use or modify for use. Sorry, forgot name

Aboard_Adventurer

Lieutenant
I have a few bimini frames I'd let go for very cheap. They would be a good place to start at least also have a couple covers to go with them. If you're in the Northeast, they are worth a look. DM me of interested.

Top Bottom