standard horizon chartplotter

Regulator23

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
32 Holland
Does anyone have any experince with a standard horizon chartplotter. I'm outfitting a new to me 32 holland. It currently has a functional sitex radar. I'm thinking about purchasing a standard horizon cp 590 12 inch chartplotter and integrating it with my exsisting dome. I know it's compatible but what do you think about it's charters and functionality.

Thanks

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I have 2 of them and about to buy another one... as soon as the fishing picks up:D

I like everything about Standard Horizon/

For starters, they are cost effective.
they are, "easy to use".
the graphics look like a chart, not some animated version of a chart.
very veiwable
the unit istelf looks like a professional unit, not some plastic toy a kid would have.

For the price... if it breaks in 5 years its still cost effective to go buy a new one. But, SH stands behind their products .

The unit is supposed to be better with a radar than the smaller 10" that use to be a nice size screen.

Did I mention, easy to use? So easy.. I can do it .I can't have a complicated chart plotter because I'm already doing 12 things at once so I have to have a plotter that performs its fuctions in a fraction of a glance.

Last edited:

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Lobstercatcher,

I don't know anything about Standard Horizon GPSs. Hence my question, can you upload and download waypoints to a SD card or with a connection on the set and a cable?

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Lobstercatcher,

I don't know anything about Standard Horizon GPSs. Hence my question, can you upload and download waypoints to a SD card or with a connection on the set and a cable?

Yes. It is called a user C card. Its the same thing(chip) as the Cmap charts card but for storage etc of info or transfer info. The Cmap charts chip is neccesary IMO. It gives the detailed info that make it look like you are looking at a NOAA type chart. It/both chips fits right in one of the 2 slots that is part of the unit. I'm not sure if the chip is one of those chips you can buy at walgreens .. I don't know enough about that to know. I just order Cmap chips and storage cards from Cmap. I did find out , you pay full suggested retail if you call and orderr from Cmap..opposed to, I've seen them priced better on the internet. I believe there is also kits that allow you to plan trips etc at home and the bring the chip to the boat and upload it onto your plotter. I don't and never did have a need for that. Even when I brought the boat back from Jonesport to Cohasset which was a little over 200 miles.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I had the old CP2000 and loved it, had a temp tracking and some other cool features, fast redraw rate...

Then saw the new line that hit the shelves last Nov/Dec and I thought this was weird. I was at West Marine in Florida, Jacksonville and they said they stopped shipping them because of issues coming out of the factory in China. He'll everyone has some sort of issue but it starved me off and I needed something THAT WEEK. So I just gave my daughter SIMRAD as a middle name for the payment and we are all good with the NSS8. I'm very curious to see how they come out though... That CP2000 was great when it came out, matter of fact I know its still being used 11 years later.

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Love Standard products. That's easily the best big screen for the buck, and you can use the C-Map PC Planner or another software program to easily swap waypoints and routes from one machine to the next. Drop me a PM with your info and I'll contact you tomorrow to go over the details involved, as it's a little cumbersome at first, just need to go through the proper order of operations.

- Chris

Top Bottom