Standing watch

maineguides

Lieutenant Commander
For the guys that do overnight trip on anchor. How many of you guys have someone stand watch all night vs how many all go to bed?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
There's always someone standing watch on my boat.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Likewise - 1 up and accountable for watch standing as well as fishinG and a 2nd who can be dozing in the pilot house but immediately available in a pinch.

GLA

Commander
always have at least one up overnight. if they get too tired wake someone else
up.
only ever had one guy on watch fall asleep. I woke up after an 2hr nap to find him sleeping in a chair on deck. last time he ever went with me.

have had a couple of occasions over the years where I had to move so we didn't get run over. tankers have no conscience.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Being reeled in and banging off the side of a steel lobster boat after you have been asleep and tied off to a high flier is no way to be awakened.

Remember you are required to maintain a proper lookout as stated by the rules, as you are still considered underway but not making way when drifting.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
I keep 2 guys on deck minimum and most of the others I fish with do the same.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Driftnetting for mackeral one spring night i go down for a nap and leave the guy fishing with me on watch next thing i know house is lit up by bright lights and i hear that rumbling that comes from big props, i jump up and all i see is the side of a cruise ship going by us !!! i could see people dancing on the back deck and balloons blowing of the stern !! he's still asleep in the chair so i kicked the chair out from under him :D it was his last trip.

bestfish

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
36' Harris Cuttyhunk
I'm glad someone brought up this topic, I spend half my life on the other side of this, (looking out the window of that ship/tug). The best advice I can give you is lights! Bright deck lights on at night. The second is a radar reflector up as high as possible. You'd be surprised how hard a small fiberglass boat is to pick up on radar farther than 3 miles (we typically run one at 12 mile range and one at 6). A strong radar target lets ships track your movement and determine if your going to be a 'problem' (meaning we have to change course a couple degrees). All commercial traffic monitors vhf 16, but believe me most ships you see are foreign and English is their second language and talking to them can cause confusion. Most people would be horrified to see the gross lack of seamen ship demonstrated by some foreign ships, not to mention they're sub standard electronics. Forget the Rules of the Road, they may win you damages in court, but I doubt they'll stop you from getting run down. The rule of tonnage usually wins. Next time I encounter a small boat off shore I'll try and get a pic to give a perspective of how hard it is to see.

Digger

Lieutenant
One eye on the radar from dark to dawn. Who's in the cockpit fishing is another story.

gregs

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Flowers 38
Somewhat off topic but can anyone explain why big ships never answer vhf calls unless there name is specifically called?

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Somewhat off topic but can anyone explain why big ships never answer vhf calls unless there name is specifically called?
Having spent 10 years sailing as an officer on-board a chemical ship here on the east coast, most US flag ships will answer you as they are well manned and understand English well. Most foreign flag ships have crews that do not speak English well and do not like to talk on the radio. Trust me I have had my fair share of trying to reach other ships. One time I called another ship to find out what their intentions were and was told by the person answering the radio that he was only the cook and needed to wake the mate, so please stand by. WTF This is why it is in your best interest to stay clear of any commercial traffic, remember that the bridge of the ship is often greater than 100 feet off the surface of the water and if they don't see anything they are just going right back to sleep. It is not easy to see that 42 ft. tuna boat from that height unless they are on top of you.
If you can use your plotter and radar to get their position, course and speed. When hailing them on channel 16, use this approach,

"Calling the vessel in position xxxx, approximate course of xxx and speed xx, this is the fishing vessel(name) on your port or starboard bow/side at x distance."

First thing they will check is their position and then look to the side you said you are on and hopefully they see you and respond.

You may have to try a few times before they wake up and respond.
They are not the only ones sleeping out there!:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom