Star Island Shark Tournament

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So what is more embarrassing than this...

I got the new RP35 and for years we have fished Star Island, back in 1992 for the first time, sure missed a few years because I've been at sea but usually the family goes on a friends boat or take our boat.

This year they decided to "charter" a boat because I'm not home on mine and they dont feel comfortable taking it.

So then I hear on Friday they caught the only weighed in fish, nailed the calcutta on that and then overall 2nd place blue.

Well hats off to My Joyce for sure, treated them right and got the job done...

Just my luck!

greg

Captain
Don't beat yourself up over it. You may have decided that the buoy reading of 10+ feet at 7 seconds wasn't worry fishing, or you may have set up elsewhere and been skunked.

They hit some good money and will be able to help feed your beast later in the season. ;)

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Greg, ahh not beating myself up but just one of life's irony!

Actually probably wouldn't have taken it figure someone else would have caught better, god a 218lb blueshark lol...

November Rain

Commander
Website
www.novemberraincharters.com
Boat Make
43' Lowell
Its not often that a 218lb Blueshark wins all that money, but they deserve it fishing in those conditions. Congrats to Kenny and the crew! The boat that docks next me said there were drifting at 4.5 knots after beating there way offshore.

greg

Captain
While I wasn't there to see the conditions, I don't see how any captain could take passengers out into potential gale force winds when a buoy is showing 10+ feet at less than 7 second period.

That isn't just uncomfortable, it's dangerous. Those are conditions where waves will be breaking offshore.

They went out and came back safely so it turned out well, but how could they know that heading out at 6 am?

Just a set of near random thoughts.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Ahh the great debate...

Mind you this wasn't a normal charter. Our crew has been fishing tournaments since the mid 1980's and gauged it for themselves. My brother who is an ex coastie, small boat school etc, said that it wasn't that horrible that it was only an honest 6-8, but nothing we havent fished in before. Lastly, they delayed the start to 8 oclock and I think some people left later than that. Its also not like your running 100 miles to the canyons, its short and what safer way that in a downeast boat.

Madchark

Commander
Glad we went fluking for the day and then caught the weigh in. Well, What we can remember of it. What happens in Montauk stays in Montauk, we hope.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom