Starlink for boats

GLA

1st Mate
that would be a very cool deal if it allowed normal boaters to have a monthly service, that would connect to
cell phones thru a roof mounted antenna , communications to coast guard, mainland would be a lot easier than it is
now for someone without a sat phone

AJ2020

Commodore
Lite User
Boat Make
Duffy 35

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
didn't know it was available. From the site: High-speed, low-latency broadband internet in remote and rural locations across the globe. $110/mo with a one-time hardware cost of $599.

STARLINK FOR RVs​

Immediately access high-speed, low-latency internet on an as-needed basis at any destination where Starlink provides active coverage. $135/mo with a one-time hardware cost of $599.

• No In-Motion Use: We do not support Starlink use in motion at this time. Using the Starlink Kit in motion will void the limited warranty of your Kit. While our teams are actively working to make it possible to use Starlink on moving vehicles (e.g., automobiles, RVs, boats), Starlink is not yet configured to be safely used in this way.

Last edited:

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Currently, the company prohibits using Starlink in moving vehicles, but some consumers have done so anyway. From the article posted.

No doubt it will come eventually.

AJ2020

Commodore
Lite User
Boat Make
Duffy 35

snowsurftuna

Deckhand
First Name
Jeremy
Boat Make
32' BHM, Seaway 21' CC, BW Conquest 29.5'
i have this installed for a couple months now, works great.

Rgwaltney

Deckhand
I have Starlink. I like it. It is my understanding that it tracks satellites as they move across the sky. Much like your cell phone switches from cell tower to cell tower as you travel, Starlink will switch from satelite to satelite as they travel Cross the sky. When you power up for the first time it scans the sky to find the location of the passing satelites. Supposedly it could take up to 12 hours to figure out what's up there and where. A moving RV or a rocking boat would put the mechanisms that track the satellites under a real workout, constantly trying to keep up with where the satelites are. I assume they are working on a more robust setup to be able to constantly keep itself pointed to the closest satellite.

snowsurftuna

Deckhand
First Name
Jeremy
Boat Make
installed where? House, RV or boat? thx
sorry for the complete lack of info in that post!!!!!

here is more info than you probably want but here it goes, happy to help anyone with any of this

It is installed on my 32 BHM and using it for tuna fishing and family cruising out of Portsmouth NH. Was working great originally out to exactly 12 mile geofence, until last Wednesday's trip to Jefferies and it worked perfect the whole time. Underway at 11/12kts, swinging on anchor etc. It is not 100% installed yet. I bought the bracket but have it basically strapped down on flybridge until I knew it would work offshore. So now I will permanently mount it and run the wire proper etc.

I installed a second inverter that is smaller and better quality for the starlink setup. 800 watt Victron energy that also ties into my garmin, and ccgx so I can see current draw etc. avg seems to be about 100watts

I run a number of nest cams that were primarily for remote checking on the boat. one in bilge, cabin and outside. these all now run over the starlink even tho there is wifi at marina. They also now work offshore which is an added safety bonus.

tested it with a live video/audio call and it worked great.

hit me up if anyone wants more info or any tips/tricks

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
sorry for the complete lack of info in that post!!!!!

here is more info than you probably want but here it goes, happy to help anyone with any of this

It is installed on my 32 BHM and using it for tuna fishing and family cruising out of Portsmouth NH. Was working great originally out to exactly 12 mile geofence, until last Wednesday's trip to Jefferies and it worked perfect the whole time. Underway at 11/12kts, swinging on anchor etc. It is not 100% installed yet. I bought the bracket but have it basically strapped down on flybridge until I knew it would work offshore. So now I will permanently mount it and run the wire proper etc.

I installed a second inverter that is smaller and better quality for the starlink setup. 800 watt Victron energy that also ties into my garmin, and ccgx so I can see current draw etc. avg seems to be about 100watts

I run a number of nest cams that were primarily for remote checking on the boat. one in bilge, cabin and outside. these all now run over the starlink even tho there is wifi at marina. They also now work offshore which is an added safety bonus.

tested it with a live video/audio call and it worked great.

hit me up if anyone wants more info or any tips/tricks
Are you on the RV plan? I saw three options. Thx

sdonx

Deckhand
Definitely interested in this. Can you post a pic of your install even if its hacked.

snowsurftuna

Deckhand
First Name
Jeremy
Boat Make
Are you on the RV plan? I saw three options. Thx
yes i had switched to the rv plan a week and a half ago to try and solve the 12 mile geofence, but it didnt work.

Prior to RV it still worked perfectly underway etc.

But I also agree that this is all changing so fast, and they can release an update anytime that changes what we think we know about how this works

Chillaxcapt

Deckhand
I've been doing a lot of research on this. It will indeed work while underway or at anchor.
There is some signal loss when it has to adjust. It seems the best answer is to disable motor and have it lay flat, this is an omnidirectional antenna that doesn't necessarily have to point right at satellite.
Since the FCC ruling there seems to be an update that figures out it is in motion and sets it to a flat configuration.
It seems to go out at 14 miles and back on at 40, this might change with the new ruling.
There is an FB group "starlink for boats" that has the best info going.
This will indeed be a game changer for vessels, right now VSAT is in the thousands of dollars a month and $50K for the antenna.
If you are in a sold out area, you can get the RV immediately, you will have reduced speed in any sold out area. This is where I am presently and I see 40-60 Mbps

snowsurftuna

Deckhand
First Name
Jeremy
Boat Make
I've been doing a lot of research on this. It will indeed work while underway or at anchor.
There is some signal loss when it has to adjust. It seems the best answer is to disable motor and have it lay flat, this is an omnidirectional antenna that doesn't necessarily have to point right at satellite.
Since the FCC ruling there seems to be an update that figures out it is in motion and sets it to a flat configuration.
It seems to go out at 14 miles and back on at 40, this might change with the new ruling.
There is an FB group "starlink for boats" that has the best info going.
This will indeed be a game changer for vessels, right now VSAT is in the thousands of dollars a month and $50K for the antenna.
If you are in a sold out area, you can get the RV immediately, you will have reduced speed in any sold out area. This is where I am presently and I see 40-60 Mbps
not all of this is true, I have first hand knowledge of this working perfectly on my own boat with no hiccup between 14 and 40 miles. It works without a blip from the dock to jefferies ledge which is a 32 mile run for me. I do not have the motors hacked or turned off and dont plan too. works fine as is. barely moves much at all and is usually pointed pretty straight up into the air.

I also posted my success in that same FB group as I do want people to know it is working great. There is a lot of misinformation out there and on the FB group.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
not all of this is true, I have first hand knowledge of this working perfectly on my own boat with no hiccup between 14 and 40 miles. It works without a blip from the dock to jefferies ledge which is a 32 mile run for me. I do not have the motors hacked or turned off and dont plan too. works fine as is. barely moves much at all and is usually pointed pretty straight up into the air.

I also posted my success in that same FB group as I do want people to know it is working great. There is a lot of misinformation out there and on the FB group.
thanks for sharing!

fuzz

Deckhand
First Name
David
Boat Make
Rawson
doesn't work in Alaska shit!
Not saying Starlink does this but I just love it when companies say it works any where only to learn Alaska not included. I like that almost as much as I like being told "we do not ship outside the US"

Top Bottom