Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Last edited:

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Chart plotter & depth can be handled by a Garmin 541. The 541 has been on sale at West Marine for 499.95 plus another 100 for the thru hull transducer. 5" screen

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Boat Make
Jarvis Newman 36
We went with simrad nss all one unit and auto pilot works on the same monitor. Our unit is not what everyone wants. Some like separate units. Wharf Rat on this blog can be a big help and provide you great advice and pricing. Check him out.

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Hey Toolate,

The Dragonfly/541S/547XS are all great units. However, when you get into the 7'' size displays my confidence in Garmin's systems when it comes to their networked devices drops off considerably, especially when their radar is involved. I'm not crazy about their built-in sonar, but the XS series has seen some improvement.
The question you need to decide is if you are going to add radar, either now or down the road. If you are, than those first displays mentioned, the Dragonfly and the 5'' Garmin displays are out, and I think your choices would be narrowed down to 7'' displays and above.
The units I would suggest would include Simrad's NSS7, Raymarine e7D and as well as their new a78, which includes the same DownVision sonar as the Dragonfly. If you are looking to go to another Also to consider is how often you will use your radar and in what fashion - simple collision avoidance, avoiding storms and squalls, target tracking?

THere is a lot to consider before making a purchase like this, as you'd like to be able to 'future-proof' the system as much as possible. Feel free to reach out to me via PM, email, or call me at the office to discuss further. Good luck!

Kodiakan

Commander
With all in one units when Murphys law kicks in (at the worst possible time) your running blind. On the last boat I had all winter to look. I found great buys on all my units. Furuno is real popular here for good reason. The non current radars (old models) seem to work just fine and can be had cheap. I like a seperate depth finder and plotter because I fish points and reefs. Interestingly, the Garmin all in one I picked up as a redundant to my Furunos I use the most for traveling. It is a really clean screen and accureate. At just a few hundred bucks they practically give them away.

Top Bottom