Steering/Docking

dthompson004

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Luhrs 250 Tournament
Recently bought a 1984 Sisu 30, love the boat, rides great. Question about dock handling, the boat barely moves to port or starboard in reverse, forward it pivots on a dime, been told that is normal to must be a wheel/rudder issue. Took a little while to get used to it, all maneuvering for tieing up to other vessels or dock is done in forward with reverse basically used to stop momentum. 360 Crusader with a 20x19 four blade left hand. Normal handling for a Sisu? Stock rudder and similar to every other 30 Sisu I have looked at, thanks for any feedback.

Mobeach

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
28' Seaworthy BHM
I'm new to single screw boats having owned outboards all my life. It took some time to become familiar with these boats especially in docking situations. Rudder really doesn't do a whole lot for you. I simply align the boat by puttin it in and out if gear. Once aligned, I give it a little kick than for a couple seconds to get her moving and than back to neutral. Nothing wrong with your rudder, it isn't there for reverse direction.

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

dthompson004

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Luhrs 250 Tournament
Thanks guys, at least I know its me and not the boat. I would imagine I'll be posting quite a few questions as I learn more about this boat. Thanks.

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Learning what Dr. Dude said above is key, you can get that ass to move without moving forward just kinda kicks the stern to the side. It really is more like the boat is being kicked UP rather than forward, much like the stern being dragged down going astern. Haven't driven my boat in 4 months, came back today and with power hydraulics fit everything like a charm...

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Over the past 36 years I had three left handed wheeled downeasts. A 22' Sisu, a 28' Cape Dory and a 38' Duffy. When I make the swing into the slip the rudder is hard over to port. In reverse the stern will walk to port. Put the gear in forward to walk the stern to starboard. That being said the Sisu and Cape Dory were in a basin with no current. I needed no throttle to dock the Sisu and with the Cape Dory I need to get on the throttle a little bit. With the Duffy I am not in the basin but am in the south end of the Shinnecock Canal. I need to be on the throttle all the time. When the locks are open I am docking with a 3 to 5 knot current. My slip is one slip off the bulkhead and there is a clearing table about 45 feet north of my slip on the bulkhead. When the locks are open I come in hot and my polepit is about 2 feet off the cleaning table when I put it reverse. The locals love it and the first time people using the clearing table shit thier pants. One other thing the Duffy has a 5.75 square foot rudder.

cb34

Rear Admiral
Docking

" Bow thrusters are for babies, but I sure wish I had one " docking in 5-6 kt current is quite a sport on your own. First thing I put in my new boat was a bow thruster. Have not needed to change my shorts docking solo once this season:D

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
I agree don't be afraid to give it a little juice every once and a while! Some times with wind, current etc thats the only way to get the boat to respond.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
" Bow thrusters are for babies, but I sure wish I had one " docking in 5-6 kt current is quite a sport on your own. First thing I put in my new boat was a bow thruster. Have not needed to change my shorts docking solo once this season:D

Boating is suppose to be "fun" !!:D
I'd have a bow thruster on a DE !!!
Haven't ruled one out "yet" on this little 25 I have now.
Will depend on how the boat handles in a 5-6 knot current around the docks.

btw, I mentioned in my 25 T Jason post that the boat will back up L or R with the steering wheel. I was surprised. Most of the DEs I sea trialed over this past year "walked" to one side or the other in reverse..BUT the 32 H&H did backup L or R with the rudder.

Maybe it's the placement and size of the rudder?
Maybe because it's only 25 ft. ??

The rudder in the pictures is "Bill"s" 25 T Jason

FWIW

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Primo thing to remember with single screw boats, especially downeasters, is the stern turns first in forward gear. If you back up and need your stern to go left then turn your wheel to the right and just slip it into forward with no throttle and you will see the stern move left w/o any forward motion. Of course you can't do it for long because you will get forward motion. Then adjust.
Hope this helps.;););)

Dude- thanks for putting this little bit of info down in such a clear way. I'll admit to getting a bit gun shy around a crowded dock with my Sisu 26. I thought the years of trying to reverse a sailboat might help, but only a bit.

The idea of forward to get that stern to swing makes total sense. Looking forward to (not) hitting the docks tomorrow for some maneuvering drills.

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
That's how I was going to do it, but went for awkward and bumbly instead.

I figure now it is just practice. Reminds me of when I was a kid and finally got my driver's license. Middle of a Michigan winter, and I immediately went sliding on some ice.

My Grandfather took me down to the frozen lake and "made" me do skids, donuts and drifts until I could handle the car on ice. Once I understood what the car wanted to do, I regained confidence and control.

Looking for that breakthrough on the water with this new-to-me dynamic. I've been trying to just work with the keel walk like I would have on the blow-boat. Clearly need to get out there and monkey around with the physics a bit!

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Dr Dude's explanation is spot on, it's all about lining up your shot in forward and then backing down. A DE will consistently go the same way in reverse, just takes enough reps to figure out what yours does.

My two cents is this- use the throttle and commit to your decision. If its a tight spot with cross current you're probably going to have to be a throttle jockey- nothing wrong with that. But if you think you're losing the bow or aren't lined up right just bail out and and try again, but being indecisive will leave you sideways everytime.

If you can find an empty marina in off season that a good time to practice- no harm in laying the boat up against a bunch of poles.

jackpot

Ensign
Boat docking competition boats ,don't have props or rudders.
they are jet pumps.
jp

Top Bottom