Steering helm gets hot

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
The single helm on my rig gets pretty hot after running for awhile, last trip after running for 3 hours it was so hot that i couldn't leave my hand on it for more than 10 seconds, this was on the base of the helm where it bolts to the bulkhead. I'm thinking if i add a autopilot it will get hotter so do i need to add a cooler to the system. There already is a cooler for the tranny so could i just get a bigger cooler and run both systems through it or do i need to get a separate cooler and plumb it in somewhere in the line??

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Easiest thing is just to put a small cooler in line somewhere, either in line with your raw water stream prior to the engine's raw water intake or just before it goes into your wet exhaust water mixer. You could replace your transmission oil cooler and slip in a tandem cooler, one with two zones of operation, these work very well. I have a large transmission oil cooler first in line on my raw water system which feeds into a 3 zone tandem cooler that cools my fuel returning to the tank, my hydraulic oil (power steering and hauler) and also cools down my engine oil, these both have dual zincs and are made by Sen-Dure. Work great. Before I installed the 3 zone cooler the hydraulic tank would get hot enough during a steam to a race to cook a family sized package of burritos. It was actually quite nice, roll in after a damp dreary ride and enjoy a piping hot snack. Mmmm

frozenburriotlegion.jpg

Stinkpot

Commander
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
The day my boat was launched, I cruised from Winter Harbor to Southwest Hbr and realized I had the same problem as I approached the dock and could barely steer. The helm was hot as a pistol. Before leaving the dock, I added a single-pass Sen-Dure cooler in my raw water intake hose and ran the hydraulic fluid through it - that did the trick.

It's got two pencil zincs for protection. It has very small tubes through which the sea water passes, so you should probably install it after your sea strainer otherwise this cooler will catch most stuff, then you'll have other problems.

Check out Sen Dure online; they've got any cooler imaginable for your issue. Good luck.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
15000 hours of very hot steering on the old RP. Seems normal, I can testify that it doesnt affect component life, anyway...

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
15000 hours of very hot steering on the old RP. Seems normal, I can testify that it doesnt affect component life, anyway...
Steve,I second that it doesn't affect steering...i got 12 years 7000 hours without a hydraulic cooler

MBILL

Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy&Duffy
My hydraulic tank heats up pretty well also. My wheel is OK though. I'm Glad to hear of others with the same situation and no problems.
Steve,
How about doing a rope wrap on the wheel?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
My hydraulic tank heats up pretty well also. My wheel is OK though. I'm Glad to hear of others with the same situation and no problems.
Steve,
How about doing a rope wrap on the wheel?

The wheel itself doesn't get hot, all the heat is at where the shaft comes out of the stainless hub and the hydraulic motor connected to the hub along with the hydro tank also are pretty hot.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Steve ... Sen-Dure was the standard for heat exchangers when I was building 40 some years ago. I can't imagine that you could go wrong with any of their products. A

Top Bottom