First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy

Jjammer

Captain
Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
Get the variable pump it will give you more flexibility to fine-tune # of turns lock to lock (up or down to your liking) and will allow fewer turns lock to lock than the 3.0 if that’s your preference.

You could possibly reuse your, is it a hydroslave unit?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
whats the hydro slave need ? I really liked the set up on the H&H 2 turns block to block, i could steer with one finger no matter what the weather. Now the bhm has a capilano variable turns helm its ok but no where near the hydro slave.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Tom,

I have the 3.0 helm pump and the 1.75" bore ram installed in the 25 T Jason.
Using 3/8" hydraulic lines this combo resulted in a 5 turns lock-to-lock 35 degree rudder turn.

On the 27 H&H I will use the variable 4590 pump, same ram but using 1/2" hydraulic lines.
I won't know the final lock-to-lock availability until the system is all put together. The number is dependent on the fluid capacity of the ram. Change the ram volume and the lock to lock changes incrementally too.

Regards,

Bill

Seafirst SHP Series Helm Pump (50cc / 3.0 cu. in. / rev) - Seaboard Marine

Seafirst Variable Helm Pump 4590 (48-85cc / rev) (2.9-5.1 cu. in. / rev) - Seaboard Marine

Seafirst Hydraulic Steering Cylinder Ram - 1.75 in. Bore, 7 in. Stroke, 13.8 cu. in. - Seaboard Marine

Jjammer

Captain
Boat Make
Going from hydroslave...if you're used to 1.5 turns lock-to-lock, the larger helm will get you closer to what you're used to in terms of ## of turns (but it won't match hydroslave of course).

My last post left a word out -- you may be able to re-use your existing ram, depending on its condition.

Reach out to Seaboard and they'll help you.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I don't see the need for the variable rate helm for you. I'll bet, once set up, you will never change the ratio. KISS
You can adjust your installation by having several holes in your rudder arm and even changing your rudder balance factor.

Jjammer

Captain
Boat Make
I don't see the need for the variable rate helm for you. I'll bet, once set up, you will never change the ratio. KISS
You can adjust your installation by having several holes in your rudder arm and even changing your rudder balance factor.
Yes, however the larger displacement setting on the variable will allow less turns lock-to-lock.

If that's not of interest, go with the 3.0.

winterking

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks guys, All the info helps. I’ll take a close look at the ram and see what it is. Will post a pic when it gets light. Steve the boat came with a box of parts, but nothing that will just go together without a lot of time. Hydro tank is an old steel one that’s seen better days, everything else needs fabricating, either a jack shaft or a Brackett for a pump off the belts which I don’t have. As long as I’m buying stuff figured I’d just simplify. I’ve had a capilano in the past that was just fine for what I do. I’ll reach out to Tony as has been suggested. Thanks again Everyone! I’ll keep you posted.
then it sounds like your going in the right direction, you king trollers only need to go slow and straight anyway:cool:

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
Hydroslave is great if you are working around gear all day, constantly going hard over in one direction, then the other. It sucks for steaming though. With my massive rudder it is WAY too easy to give too much input and make hard turns when all you wanted was a little correction.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Hydroslave is great if you are working around gear all day, constantly going hard over in one direction, then the other. It sucks for steaming though. With my massive rudder it is WAY too easy to give too much input and make hard turns when all you wanted was a little correction.
loved mine just steered with my thumb but when i 1st got the boat i was capt snake wake !

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
Yeah, it is hard to let people drive the boat, they always want to do the normal 1/8 turn or so of the wheel. With mine at speed, just putting some pressure on the wheel will give you rudder movement. Its OK, I want to go to autopilot so I can go hide on the closed in side of the house and steer by remote.

winterking

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy
Last edited:
Top Bottom