Steering replacement

BunkerMan

Commander
Looking for reviews on a new steering set up for my 35 t-Jason. As of now I have vetus steering with no power assist. I rebuilt the piston which wasn't in bad shape at all but had a leaking seal. I was told about capalano steering and I would like to know what everyone has on there rig and why they like or dislike what they have. So before I go and spend a lot of $$$ with hydroslave and figure how to mount the pump ( which I would rather not due) due to the times I have had the belt come off when I was running another boat and had to make the repair while getting my butt handed to me offshore. The boat has a aft station just to answer that question and a auto pilot simrad ap35

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
The 28 has a Capilano helm and single cylinder. Works great, low pressure, 20" destroyer wheel and it's pretty responsive.

My 36 has power steering with a dual ram set up. Worlds difference between the two. My power steering pump is set up piggy-backed off the PTO on the transmission. Wouldn't have any other setup. No belts to go slapping around and no jackshafts whirling around. 13-tooth spline and you're good to go. The hydraulic tank used to get hot enough to cook an entire family pack of burritos on if you were steaming anywhere (pretty neat feature really, always had a warm bite to eat when everyone else was shivering and trying to get a cup of coffee going), tossed in a tandem cooler an that took care of that issue, now its cool to the touch. Main pump is a 20 gpm and the steering is 5 gpm I believe, so for a 24 gal tank it gets cycled pretty regularly. Nothing like power steering.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I had Hynautic on my Henriques, Sea Star on my bowpicker and the H&H has Hydroslave with the pump off the back of the gear
(like Travis's)
Hydroslave is by far the most responsive and easiest to turn i would never go back to the others. I can steer all day with one finger.

BunkerMan

Commander
Thanks for the replys and I'm gonna contact Wagner tomorrow. Hynautic was a idea and I will price that out as well thanks for the responses

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I have the same set up. Hydroslave with the 16" wheel. single ram. you could steer it with a limp dick if needed, LOL

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks for the replys and I'm gonna contact Wagner tomorrow. Hynautic was a idea and I will price that out as well thanks for the responses

Hynautic needs to be pressurized, i always had a bike pump on the boat just in case of a blowout ! I think MDI45 on here knows where a couple of capilano helms are.

Last edited:

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Wagner system is so simple. No power pumps, no air pumps no nothing.
Add the fluid. Turn right a few times then left a few times the system is bled. The original Wagner steering is still in my 1984 JC. The new owner loves the system. Plus it came with a tiller just case. Never a repair!
The 1st photo shows the helm pump. If you notice it was tee-off for the F/B station. On the F/G shot right in front of the compass you and see the filler tubes for the system. Neat little cap even had a dipstick built in. Every week or so a quick check, as it rarely ever lost a drop. To fill I just keep the Hyro fluid in a soap bottle with a squeeze out top. Never spilled a drop. Also note that high tech tape. That fitting was under the deck hatch gasket so it always got wet. The tape prevents that. On all other fittings I like to spray a double dose of clear paint lacquer. It prevents rust & it is invisible which keeps you engine & compartment with nice detail

Picture 4894.jpg

storm 091.jpg

storm 092.jpg

Picture 049.jpg

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Power steering is a world away from the others. The response is so quick it makes all the difference in a following sea. Got power steering in my BHM and I wish I had it in my other boat.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
And if you have an AP 35, just go electric in the cockpit. I like that better for tweaking my circles when we're kingfishing b/c it's a fine adjustment compared to the steering wheel.

Top Bottom