Stillman 35 update

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Made it to the yard today and had a thorough inspection with the surveyor. Also took it out for a sea (river) trial.
The good bits. The engine runs well all the way up to full throttle. It is a turbo but it looked like the stamped HP was in the 200's not 300's..We did 18.2 kts in still conditions at WOT. A lovely ride and handles extremely well. Bottom and rudder checked out OK. Oil sample taken after the trial. will await metallurigical analyses but nothing concerning was found.
everything on board works.
the bad...not one place that does not need cleaning, scrubbing brighterning.. Headliners, seat cushions etc...and ALL the brightwork inside and out needs to be sanded, revarnished/oiled.
The Ugly... moistue levels around all of the guard rail stanchion are off-scale and the foredeck aft of the anchor bowsprit also almost pegs the meter.
These moisture issues are concerning and I am awaiting the final report and an estimate of repairs from the Yard.
There you have it.

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
You are correct, that boat is far worse.
At the listing price I was not expecting a new Hinkley or Shelter Harbor, but since I dont have the time, place or inclination to do major work, like redoing the deck, the concept of "project" has its bounds in both time and dollars.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I'd say keep looking. If you have to pay a boat yard to do that sort of work it's going to cost more than what it's worth. If you look hard enough you will find more value in a boat that's closer to turnkey ready. Of course, the more of a "yacht" it is the more upkeep it will require. Brightwork? There used to be a little bit on my boats.

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Petrel, Tuna. Thanks
I am close to making that decision. I am awaiting the final report and an estimate of repairs and will tender a new offer that reflects the need for the deck work.
If agrreable wiht the present owner, I may have the yard where it is now do the work over the winter, as it is unlikely it will be in NY before spring anyway.
The brightwork and the other cleanup stuff I can do.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
If she needs that much at that price with photos of a super clean beautiful boat. Id 100% walk. What haven't you found yet would be the question in my mind.

sorry but with all the 35 brunos, nausets and shit around that boat isn't exactly some awesome find. Its been for sale for quite some time btw.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
If she needs that much at that price with photos of a super clean beautiful boat. Id 100% walk. What haven't you found yet would be the question in my mind.

sorry but with all the 35 brunos, nausets and shit around that boat isn't exactly some awesome find. Its been for sale for quite some time btw.

hate to say it Doc, totally agree.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Thanks all. I hear you loud and clear. Problem is, although the boats you sent are wonderful, I have 1 day a week MAX to even contemplate being out on the Sound. Cant justify anything over 50K at this time.
Will wait for the full diagnosis before I pull the plug.
Was about to look at a CD28.. may rethink that approach.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Oh lol. she used to be like 89 or 90K I didn't even see the updated price. They must have changed it when they found the ugly! Get a quote on her repair... then double it. subtract that from the asking price and offer them that?

1 day a week on the sound, Is that fishing and no overnights? a few real nice smaller 28-31ish ft DEs around in your price range

31JC with bridge. fresh cummins. sexy looking boat. Owned by a member here http://www.unclehenrys.com/classified/4254605/classified?back=%2Fsearch%2FBoats%3Fsr%3D1732430%234254605

bad ass little DE with more than enough power http://www.unclehenrys.com/classified/4218007/classified?back=/search/Boats?sr=1732430#4218007

clean looking 31 Jim beal http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/4175217168.html

ETA there is also a 31RP on the Maine commercial swap and sell face book page. You will have to scroll down to find it. I think hes asking 50K? https://www.facebook.com/groups/265498650209173/?ref=br_tf

Last edited:

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I wouldn't let a couple of core moisture spots change your mind about the type and size DE you want. A 28' boat isn't a 35' boat by any stretch. If you want a 35' boat, don't change to a 28 footer. Why do you think so many builders have used those 35 molds over the years, 4 maybe 5 builders?
Dispite what many people say about coring. it is a good building method (even balsa) and is used in many high quality boats where 1) weight savings equates to fuel savings. 2) sound deadening is desired. 3) no sweating inside is desired. To mention but 3 advantages.

If the price is adjusted for the problems found and it is the size and HP/speed you want. Go for it.

Do a "Bruno" search of this site for problems, solutions, and opinions.

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Badlat. I am planning on doing exactly what you suggest. My guess is it will be rejected but thats OK.
Fishing, I think not. Day boat w/ occasional O/N..If I had more time I would bore you with my nebbishy experience with a bluefish I caught.. was totally umprepared for a fish with teeth. Subdued it by giving it a good bashing with my spare anchor. What a mess.
Love that 31JC..

Brooksie, your point is well taken. The hull is a work of art and the boat is generally in good conditions. The question will be...is it the right boat at the right price.. If not, we move on.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I agree with Brooksie, your going to find some moisture in every older boat. And needs a cleaning, a few weekends will do the trick on most boats. Don't want any moisture, or cleaning, no problem, buy a new boat! My point is, in that price range, you have to go into this knowing it's going to cost you something. And watch out for really low ball offers, some sellers will tell you to walk without giving you a chance to counter (I've done it myself), no one wants to deal with a dreamer. If you want it, make a reasonable offer, if it's low, be prepared to defend the offer. But don't expect the seller to pay for fixing up the boat for you. At some point it's cheaper for him to keep in.

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Captjohn.. Got it..
Full disclosure.. No dreamer here, totally data-driven...just very aware that its, well, a boat.. For many of you its your livelyhood, for others a major passion. For me, currently, its about 10th on my list of "must do's" Maybe 11th.
Do appreciate and enjoy the comments and criticisms by the way.. Sharpens the focus.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Im not knocking the boat he likes guys. I was just giving him my personal opinion and linked him to some options ive found in his price range. I also believe that some of those options are much better boats than a 35 Bruno. With that being said. Ive gone balls deep in a money pit and came out 100K in the negative at the end of the adventure.

I also live on Long Island sound and we have many great anchorages that a 35 Bruno FB would be nice and comfy to relax on.

Top Bottom