Stripe on house side ???

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
What does the stripe on the house side do ?? does it only dress up the side or does it break up the house side and make the house look lower ?? Is the bottom straight and the top tapers up to the wide end ? or is it a equal taper on both top & bottom ??

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
It's an accent, breaks up the wide panel.

You can keep the direction of the trunk top going aft or you can level it out, different tops work differently. Some are level so a raked stripe looks strange. Some are raked so a level stripe looks strange. Most all of them have the stripe widening in a downward angle as you go aft.

Same goes for the boot stripe on the hull. You can have a reveal or put the stripe right against the bottom paint. Have the top of the stripe at the bow slightly higher than the transom for more eye candy.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
So do you think my house would look better with a stripe ?? I already see a problem with it going through my running light:confused:.

P1010472.jpg

P1010472.jpg

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
No Strip

On some boats but not yours. The strip will cludder the lines. Plus the strip on the house usually matches the boot top color which on your boat does not work.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Fish220sr

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
29' Webbers Cove

offshore31

Captain
my old boat had a stripe on the bridge that matched the boot stripe. black hull, white bridge, red boot stripe and bridge stripe. it did look nice, but i agree with the others. Boat looks real nice as is. unless like fish220sr says, you've got to have one

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
A pr. of sister ships

Steve,

Here's a pr. of sister ships with stripes.

Please note that the "JAKL" had 3 inches added to the height of the house and has a bit more room for a stripe.

The other 29 has the same dimensions as your 29

Bill D

29 H&H JAKL Charters.jpg

IMG_0014 - Copy.jpg

Stinkpot

Commander
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
Thinking of painting a stripe down my wheelhouse as well. Originally, I had the builder install a (ugh) teak strip down the side, which looked GREAT for a couple seasons. I tried to keep it touched up, but never looked this good again.

Wouldn't recommend it unless you really like maintaining bright work and have the time to spend on it. My painted boot stripe still looks great after 5 seasons, so to me that's the way to go. I'll probably keep the stripe straight (top & bottom) with no taper; same shape as the teak which looked good to me.

JJ-H.jpg

JJ-H.jpg

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
do boot stripes get put on in the mold? if you wanted one from the get go, do they do them of gel coat, or spray them on after?

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
The stripes on the side of the house can be done a few ways. You either paint it on or have a good vinyl guy come take measurements and put one on in vinyl graphic. Thats the path i chose. I didnt trust myself painting a straight line even with blue masking tape.

Im very happy with the results.

DRIFANZ7.jpg

Bulman711

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
31 JC
I am also going to be putting a stripe on my JC. Does anyone have any tips on ways to keep the top as straight as possible? Im nervous that I will have it be all wavy if I try to free hand it.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I am also going to be putting a stripe on my JC. Does anyone have any tips on ways to keep the top as straight as possible? Im nervous that I will have it be all wavy if I try to free hand it.
the graphics guys make it look so easy, but i've had success with putting a guide line of blue tape as the top line. you can mess with this line to get it right, and use a batten with pencil marks to help you out.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Stripes can be put on in the mold, it's a bit of a pain though.

Blue tape is a must when doing stripes, easy to fix little waves in the surface of things and make them look pretty.

That's the thing with boats: if it looks messed up, it IS messed up.

Top Bottom