stuffing box and cutlass bearing alignment

harborguy

Lieutenant
Boat Make
34 webbers cove
can i get advice on how to align the the box and bearing so the shaft spins easy.the inside surface and the outside dont seem to be parallel, when i removed the old stuffing box it had a very hard bedding compound that was used for alignment. but it was not right as it wore the shaft . so i removed old compound now i am trying to replace shaft,stuffing box and cutlass bearing i can get it close with shims but when i tighten it all down the shaft binds. now i'm lost any tricks,thoughts. thanks jim

stuffing box 006.jpg

stuffing box 007.jpg

stuffing box 008.jpg

stuffing box 009.jpg

stuffing box 013.jpg

stuffing box 014.jpg

stuffing box 015.jpg

stuffing box 016.jpg

stuffing box 017.jpg

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
The hard material under the flange on the outside is a good idea. line up your shaft on the engine/trans w/feeler er gauge, see that it comes through the center of the hole in the deadwood while holding up the prop end of the shaft with a scale at 1/2 the weight of the shaft. Trowel on some epoxy w/ silica and push the greased cutlass & housing against it. Let it harden. Now apply your caulking and bolt it up.
As to getting the inside stuffing box parallel to the outside; you could do the same thing again inside.
Myself, I would use a flexible (hose type) stuffing box inside but that would mean changing both pieces.

Last edited:

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
O'boy you have a problem. I appears by the photos that your bore hole in the keel is out of center. Your bearing housing must sit flush with the keel and then you alien. However in your case the bore will not allow this. You need to re-bore your keel hole. I do not have a good idea has to how to do that and maintain structural strength.
Did you conceder a wet tube replacement. With the wet tube you can over bore the keel hole to fit the tube. shim everything in place, get your alignment & then glass the wet tube to the hull. You would a lot more wiggle room in doing so.

photo 1b.jpg

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Oddly in the 6th photo it appears if you rotate it 180 it would line up properly.

harborguy

Lieutenant
Boat Make
34 webbers cove
if i hold the bearing assy up to the keel the alignment is good, the problem is when i put the stuffing box up to the inside and tighten it it is not. the inside of the keel is out of wack with the out side. would like to keep it the way it came. don't think i have the budget for a tube.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
if i hold the bearing assy up to the keel the alignment is good, the problem is when i put the stuffing box up to the inside and tighten it it is not. the inside of the keel is out of wack with the out side. would like to keep it the way it came. don't think i have the budget for a tube.

Well then, resurface the inside as I discribed doing the outside. Using epoxy paste against the greased bearing flange.

Last edited:

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
You don't have any shaft log ,both boxes are held on the stern post with the same bolts?When aligning a box to the stern post ,I wax the box and grind the glass surface clean.Mix up some cabosil and resin to make a paste,and butter up the surface and slide the box up to the stern post where it wants to be,so the paste comes out all around the box,and hold it in place with the mounting bolts.Fill the threads on the bolts with wax also,so they can be removed for final installation.You will have to have the shaft on the coupling to do this,the pilots in the stern post should center the box back to where it was originally.Do you also have a center bearing?

harborguy

Lieutenant
Boat Make
34 webbers cove
Thanks guys i'll give it try and set the inner flange in some mixed up goo thanks for the help. Lucky it won't take much to heat thing up today

Downeast boat forum rocks!!!

Top Bottom