Stuffing Box,Packing or Shaft or Engine Alignment?

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by Fish220sr, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Fish220sr

Fish220sr Senior Member

Contractor
    Boat Make:
    29' Webbers Cove
    About to launch the boat soon and noticed this situation. I need help figuring how to solve what appears to be an obvious problem.
    Is the moter out of Alignment and scoring shaft?Maybe I mispacked the stuffin box last season?(Used Dura-Max) My mechanic mentioned a few seasons back he felt the Engine needed alighnment. He went after it and told me he improved the alignment, but it was not completely on the $ .The Engine is a Yanmar 4LHA-STE 1998.
    We installed an OEM new coupler,Stuffing box from R.E. Thomas and a new upgraded OEM Transmission damper( ZR61) in Spring 2013.
    Please comment on any possible solutions you may recommend. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. junkman

junkman Senior Member

I have found sometimes the alignment is good but the stuffing box tube sags and causes what you have going on. Do you have a vibration? Is it leaking more than a few drops per minute under way? If those symptoms are not present perhaps you could flip the stuffing box 180 degrees.

Fish220sr likes this.
  3. Genius

Genius Captain

What is concerning you? the spray? It is an odd color similar to the duramax...which I don't have too much experience with.

Anyone with a traditional packing gland needs to have a spray shield. Very easy to make. I'm surprised there isn't something off the shelf. Cut a PVC pipe section and take a slot out of it. Use some hose clamps to secure to the body of the packing gland. This will make any salt water spray hit and drop into the bilge. You can also use heavy plastic or rubber in the place of the PVC pipe. Sorry, no pictures that I could find.

I hope that is a self aligning stuffing box. It looks strange without a locknut and any room for adjustment, anymore pictures?

Fish220sr likes this.
  4. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Clay, are you referring to the black line in the bilge? If so that is normal break in for the Duramax packing. Is the line new or did it show up recently? The duramax does have a break in period and if this line is new since you changed the packing, clean it up and watch it.

Fish220sr likes this.
  5. Dslpwr

Dslpwr Senior Member

Sales and service
    Just a couple questions. Is the stuffing box self aligning? Is engine mounted on isolator mounts?

6. Fish220sr

Fish220sr Senior Member

Contractor
    Boat Make:
    29' Webbers Cove
    The stuffing box is self aligning. Turns out the packing is wearing away because 3 of 4 corners are on the $ ,but one corner of the engine is 11mm out .The engine is mounted on Yanmar rubber mounts.
    Thank you for the answers to my original questions. The DE Forums Members were very helpful as usual.
    Anyone want to weigh in with a possible solution to getting the engine alignment right on the $? Thank you again for your time and expertise.

Attached Files:

7. Joshbel02

Joshbel02 Senior Member

Adirondack Timberframer/ lobsterman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Sonny Hodgeton
    Rule of thumb to have a packing nut or bearing I like to be 2.5 times shaft diameter from back of reverse gear flange...looks like a tight squeeze and I would have installed a bearing less tube and put dripless...there’s a bit of movement when she engages and this way there’s give...let me guess u have to look at the nut every trip? Dripping is always changing? Just a guess with what u have goin on...just tryin to help.

Josh

Fish220sr likes this.
  8. Genius

Genius Captain

I'm willing to help, but some of the information is not making sense. You say that your packing gland is self aligning, do you know what that means? Also, the description of the motor mounts has nothing to do with how you align the engine to the shaft. I concerned that bad information has gone your way with both the type of gland and how to align the engine to the shaft.

Fish220sr and Joshbel02 like this.
  9. Dslpwr

Dslpwr Senior Member

Sales and service
    Looking at his last pics there is quite a gap on lower side of packing gland and tight on top. I would like to see a pic of whole inside box. If it is self aligning I wonder if it has a cutlass.

Fish220sr likes this.
  10. Reelin

Reelin Member

Based on the last couple pictures, I would be willing to bet that the engine is a little high in relation to the shaft coupling. Once your in the water, I'd break the coupling loose and realign the motor. The trick is when break the coupling loose is to lift the shaft with a rope as high as you can and measure the coupling and shaft sag vs the unsupported height. Then make a shaft wedge to support the shaft so you end up centered in your stuffing box. Once you center it in the stuffing box you align the engine, taking measurements at 90 degrees around the coupling, then rotate the shaft 90 degrees and repeat. Do this for the full 360, add the four measurements together for each 0, 90, 180 and 270 column and divide by four. The you know where your engine alignment is. Try to get the alignment within .005 for all 4 averages. It's a pain in the butt job.

Fish220sr likes this.