Suggestion for a small boat?

jixeg

Deckhand
First Name
mia
Hi,

I was hoping y’all could save me some time.

I am looking for a small boat to take my 4 and 6-year-old out on a couple of rivers and small lakes near me.

The problem is I only have about 16’ 4” from the back wall to the door in my garage.

It is a 2 car so I can angle but was hoping not to take up the entire garage.

Any suggestions for the most stable boat I can get in my small garage?

jixeg

Deckhand
First Name
mia
Hi,

I was hoping y’all could save me some time.

I am looking for a small boat to take my 4 and 6-year-old out on a couple of rivers and small lakes near me.

The problem is I only have about 16’ 4” from the back wall to the door in my garage.

It is a 2 car so I can angle but was hoping not to take up the entire garage.

Any suggestions for the most stable boat I can get in my small garage? marine fasteners, and marine grade nuts and bolts Fair Wind Fasteners - Silicon Bronze Wood Screws, Nuts, Bolts, & more
Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

Last edited:

RobBaker

1st Mate
Boat Make
Eastern Sisu 22
An alumiun flat bottom Jon boat would do it.

Woodvine

Deckhand
Boat Make
Sea Ox 2300 Commercial
You can install a folding/swinging tongue on any small boat trailer which will increase the size of boat you can fit in the garage. Some trailers are available from the factory this way, but I think you can safely do it to any small trailer that's in decent shape. I bet a 14ft aluminum boat v hull or flat jon as Robbaker mentioned with a 9.9hp motor would fit in there no problem with a swing tongue trailer. These are very common boats in new england and available on the used market. Some of the Downeast builders offer smaller skiffs, one that is mentioned on the site a lot is the Holland 14, this would be a more expensive route but has several advantages over your standard aluminum skiff.

How To Install A Folding Swing Tongue

Last edited:

PatriciaLynn

Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
I think pretty highly of my novi skiff. Can't go wrong with a 14' outboard boat, probably the most versatile platform out there. Good on fuel and easy to handle.

harpoon83

Admiral
First Name
Colin
Where do you live?
Sometimes that dictates what is typically available in your area for types of boats.

...if you are in Ohio it might be harder to find a little novi, but you could easily find a 14-ft aluminum skiff, so it depends where you live.

Top Bottom