Suggestions for a Repower solution

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
From everything I have read here about T&S, they are Cat experts who do excellent work. I hope they can solve the problem.

Nauset's quoted performance of cruising @ 13kts at 2200 rpm and getting 16kts @ WOT with 300hp sounds just like the stats from a fully loaded Bruno Stillman sports cruiser - a 15-16,000# hull identical to yours, so I agree you'll never ever get those #'s.

You said you're looking for 12-15kt. cruise. In my experience, that 3kt. spread for cruise is a big difference with different power demands when it comes to this Royal Lowell hull. If you're happy with either, no problem. If you want 15kts, choose carefully.

Avalon

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Shannon Downeast 36, Lyman 26' Hardtop Sleeper, Cape Dory Handy Cat, Boston Whaler Newport
@Avalon I would start over with a new governor if the boat is new to you to. Who knows what has been done in there by prior owners and after what you have been through. I love these engines- no soot and reminds me of my schoolbus as a kid lol.
Did I not mention that Cat installed a new governor 2 years ago? My bad. The engine was remanned in 2017 as part of the hull up refit I did on the boat. It has just never been quite right.

Avalon

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Shannon Downeast 36, Lyman 26' Hardtop Sleeper, Cape Dory Handy Cat, Boston Whaler Newport
From everything I have read here about T&S, they are Cat experts who do excellent work. I hope they can solve the problem.

Nauset's quoted performance of cruising @ 13kts at 2200 rpm and getting 16kts @ WOT with 300hp sounds just like the stats from a fully loaded Bruno Stillman sports cruiser - a 15-16,000# hull identical to yours, so I agree you'll never ever get those #'s.

You said you're looking for 12-15kt. cruise. In my experience, that 3kt. spread for cruise is a big difference with different power demands when it comes to this Royal Lowell hull. If you're happy with either, no problem. If you want 15kts, choose carefully.
I'm thinking the 3116 is just not enough to move 22K#. Even if/when I get this engine right, it is simply not going to be enough to get the boat over the hump at anything less than WOT. That's the challenge.

LuSea

Lieutenant
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
Nauset 35
I am amazed at the weight of the Nauset 36 ! My Nauset, with 300 Yanmar , flybridge and outfitted as a cruiser weighted in at 14,500 on the travel lift scale. Where in the hell does another 4 tons come into play ? Please educate me................

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I am amazed at the weight of the Nauset 36 ! My Nauset, with 300 Yanmar , flybridge and outfitted as a cruiser weighted in at 14,500 on the travel lift scale. Where in the hell does another 4 tons come into play ? Please educate me................
14,500 lbs is very light for a 36’ downeast cruiser even if it had no fuel or water onboard. My guess is the travel lift scale wasn’t accurate.

Avalon

Lieutenant
Boat Make
22,000 is the travel lift scale weight, 3 years in a row. Boat had full fuel (220 gal) and water (160 gal) tanks when she gets launched.

Fishbound

Lieutenant
T and S is a great dealer. I purchased my Cummins from them, and a Reman 3208 from them. Timmy knows the smaller Cats better then anyone.
Definitely think about the 355 version over the 380 version. If you decide to go that route. You will be able to spin a larger prop, which will give you a better cruise. Especially if you stay with a 1.5:1 gear. Is your current gear a 506?

Avalon

Lieutenant
Boat Make
T and S is a great dealer. I purchased my Cummins from them, and a Reman 3208 from them. Timmy knows the smaller Cats better then anyone.
Definitely think about the 355 version over the 380 version. If you decide to go that route. You will be able to spin a larger prop, which will give you a better cruise. Especially if you stay with a 1.5:1 gear. Is your current gear a 506?
Yes, the current gear is a 506

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I'm thinking the 3116 is just not enough to move 22K#. Even if/when I get this engine right, it is simply not going to be enough to get the boat over the hump at anything less than WOT. That's the challenge.
I agree, weight is your problem, I've run your boat through a calculator with several different weights and HP's. You don't mention what max size your prop could be or if you are willing to modify your keel/driveline to swing a proper size to absorb 400+hp. Just too much weight for too little waterplane area.

cb34

Rear Admiral
Agreed, no way 14500

Avalon

Lieutenant
Boat Make
I agree, weight is your problem, I've run your boat through a calculator with several different weights and HP's. You don't mention what max size your prop could be or if you are willing to modify your keel/driveline to swing a proper size to absorb 400+hp. Just too much weight for too little waterplane area.
Have confirmed that max Wheel Diameter is 22" and modifying the keel is not in the cards (at least for me).

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Did I not mention that Cat installed a new governor 2 years ago? My bad. The engine was remanned in 2017 as part of the hull up refit I did on the boat. It has just never been quite right.
You just need a good wrench to go over that thing. It will sing but you may still want more hp :/

LuSea

Lieutenant
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
Nauset 35
Agreed, no way 14500
The Nauset 35 is all glass hull, molded top, trunk, flybridge and lower cabin liner. The 35 is well known as a "easy to push " hull. I highly doubt that the travel lift scale is off by tons........literally. I'll call Nauset in the am to get the correct info. For what its worth, the NADA guide shows the 35 @ 14,000 lbs. dry weight with a single diesel and no flybridge.

hardcore1

Captain
the nauset 36 and 35 are not the same hulls. the 35 is a bruno hull while the 36 is the old harris cuttyhunk design. the later being wider and capable of putting more weight in. a 22000lb boat is going to need some ponies to get going. 300 hp is nt going to get it going very fast at all. the 35 nauset if kept spartan may be around 15000lbs.

Avalon

Lieutenant
Boat Make
To bring a little more clarity to this discussion, here is the history of the Nauset 35 & 36 from Nauset.
"The boat building world up here in the northeast was a small, close nit, friendly bunch of guys , molds swapped hands weekly and everybody new what the other was doing, the 36 started life as the Bruno – stillman 35, then after the auction Nauset ended up with the 30,35,and later the 42. There happened to be one hull in the 35 mold all layed up ready to be pulled. The next day when we went back to pick up the molds, the hull was gone . The auctioneer had sold the hull and put the money in his pocket the night before. Harris Cuttyhunk were the buyers and they lengthened and pushed her out a little bit, made a new pilot house and built it as the Cuttyhunk 36 for about 5 years until they ceased operation , that is when Nauset purchased the mold and it became the 36. We had numerous boat builders lay up hulls for us over the years, it is common practice and Shannon always liked the downeast style so they layed up a couple for themselves to build."
Now then, back to the repower question. There seems to be agreement that the 300hp 3116 is light for a 22k# downeast. What is a good, reasonably cost effective solution? There have been several recommendations for the Cummins QSB 5.9 ranging from 355hp - 480hp. Is there a good, reputable source for a low hour unit or should I just bite the bullet and get a recon from Cummins? Any thoughts on the Yanmar 6LY3-ETP?

LuSea

Lieutenant
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
Nauset 35
Nauset dry weights. I spoke to the folks a Nauset today to satisfy my curiosity. My 1985 Nauset 35 does in fact weight approximately 14,500 lbs with flybridge and Yanmar 6LP-STE. I am envious of Avalon's 36 with its slightly wider beam and lengthy house.

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
3116 is a good but not great engine. Trouble with injector cups getting cut and compression/exhaust from the engine blowing into the fuel system. If your fuel bright and clear or dark/black? Have the engine checked out first if you aren't comfortable doing it. At least you will know what you are selling as a running take out.

Cummins B series is an easy answer. 6BTA or QSB, both are great. C series is even better, but you already have a weight problem. Better to start making decisions that will lighten her up rather than continue down this path.

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
So whether 35 or 36, it's the Bruno Stillman sport cruiser hull, with or without a 1ft. extension.

I would go with Powderpro's suggestion of a QSB 5.9 and a 5-blade. I wouldn't expect 15 but a 13kt. cruise should be within reach.

Top Bottom