sure to make novi fans mad

dave fuller

Lieutenant
What I have always wondered........... From everything I research, down east boats are supposed to be superior to novi hulls. Correct me if I'm wrong but d.e.'s are faster are better in heavy seas and the myth that they can haul more weight, well I've seen alot of d.e.'s carrying piles of lobster pots at a good speed. Now, I realize a 55 foot no I is a brute that can carry a house but what I'm comparing is a 40 vs 40 foot with equal HP. My question is if what I stated is true why wouldn't novi builder change their hulls over time to be more inline with the superior d.e.'s hulls. Is it pride, stubborness, or us being Americans? I really don't mean to offenend anyone but people I know always debated it. If I'm all wet on my facts I'd like to hear from you.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
You are mistaking. Novis are superior sea boats and can certainly carry a hell of a lot more gear than an equal size de. Novis are slower and a little more sluggish than a de.
That being said, DE boats are certainly much better looking and are almost always faster.

Where did you get this information?????

gettes

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Osmond Beal 36
You are mistaking. Novis are superior sea boats and can certainly carry a hell of a lot more gear than an equal size de. Novis are slower and a little more sluggish than a de.
That being said, DE boats are certainly much better looking and are almost always faster. QUOTE]

That sounds a lot more accurate to me. From my limited knowledge the designs for both have a lot to do with where they were developed. Downeast boats were designed originally with more inshore protected fishing in mind(and maybe a little rum running) while Novis were more exposed to the North Atlantic.

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
What is the set up on that 36? Those are some nice numbers I imagine its a bare boat rigged for lobstering

dave fuller

Lieutenant
Well I guess I'll eat crow on my original post. I guess my circle I talk to isn't wide enough. Each kind serves a specific role on the water I learned. Thanks. Well after eating crow what do you guys think about a Magna 45, specifically for tuna fishing. Being the fastest is second to having a rig a guy can have faith in going out to Georges late in tuna season. Also how much boat do you need to fish Georges on a regular basis, assuming your smart about the weather. Brother is about to pull the trigger on a magna45 that's priced good and in great condition. Had a cat tech check out motor and said well maintained with alot of service hrs left. Motor @ 700 horse and brother is already talking about a 1000 HP cat upgrade. Any comments would be great. Do you guys think good idea or does he need to rethink this?

commtuna

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
2000 tons of steel
What I have always wondered........... From everything I research, down east boats are supposed to be superior to novi hulls. Correct me if I'm wrong but d.e.'s are faster are better in heavy seas and the myth that they can haul more weight, well I've seen alot of d.e.'s carrying piles of lobster pots at a good speed. Now, I realize a 55 foot no I is a brute that can carry a house but what I'm comparing is a 40 vs 40 foot with equal HP. My question is if what I stated is true why wouldn't novi builder change their hulls over time to be more inline with the superior d.e.'s hulls. Is it pride, stubborness, or us being Americans? I really don't mean to offenend anyone but people I know always debated it. If I'm all wet on my facts I'd like to hear from you.
Fuller of [email protected]

Ready to have your mind blown?
A dixon is a "novi".
An Osmond Beal is a "downeast".
A Dixon is an Osmond Beal design.

WOAHHHHHHHHH HOW IN THE WORLD CAN THAT BE?!?!?!?!?!?!? A DOWNEAST IS SUPPOSED TO BE BETTER THAN A NOVI BUT WHAT ITS THEY ARE THE SAME?!?!?!?!?!

Mind.
Officially.
Blown.

Really though, there is no argument. There are dozens of different downeast hulls that all perform differently. To compare them to just as many Cape Island and Northumberland styles (aka "novi" boats) is pointless.

The only possible argument would be a 42' Dixon vs. a 42' Osmond beal, being that they are based on the same design but built in two different countries. And still it would be tough, because Dixon builds a tough solid heavy boat. American boatbuilders don't follow that principle. Here its all about being light and going fast. Here in America its all about who has the flashiest downeast has the biggest d*ck. In Canada its all about making $$$. Funny because it should be the other way around...

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Depends which novi and which Down east and when.

The older wooden boats where classic design and were pretty as a picture.

There was a few nice boats in the harbor here way back when that were faster than the downeasters or locally built lobster boats.

There was a 38 footer that had a 292 chevy in it that did about 14 and barely left much more than a ripple going through the water. My father inlaws boat was a 40 footer and had a ford diesel 120hp and it did the same thing even though it was one of the wide ones. he'd bring down a couple jerry jugs of fuel a day and that's more than it used. You got a lot of boat for the money back then.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Just because Dixon bought the old plug off of H&H doesn't mean all Novi's are that way. In fact it's just a displaced (misplaced) downeast. They have since modified it into something completely different.

It's not all about being light. In reference to my 36, she tips the scales at 15,000 lbs. Add to that 335 gallons of fuel (yay diesel, someone has to keep the middle east running). Solid glass hull. Balsa cored on the horizontals - 1" on the roof and 3/4" on the washrails and cuddy top. 12mm foam cored on the verticals for the house. Crash bulkhead is balsa cored so is the steering bulkhead, both use 1". Fuel tanks are fiberglass and are 5/8" thick with baffles 1/4" thick running down the length and across every 16". Work platform is balsa cored with 3 layers of 1708 on the botom and 4 layers on top, both sides have a double layer of 1.5 oz mat. As far as accommodations, aside from the couch, there is a head with fresh water feed, twin berths port and starboard, small galley top with sink and single burner gimbaled stove. Canvas enclosure for the main salon, redwood and lexan doors for the forward cabin, some serious mood lighting, red night time running lights for the forward cabin and main salon. Soon there will be a cabinet up forward over the batteries complete with drawers - just what every cruiser needs. True, she lacks a holding tank and a larger fresh water tank, not exactly a "bare boat" though. I can photoshop in an aft station and a tuna door if you guys want. ;)

captcod

Lieutenant
personally i dont consider a dixon a novi nor do most in my harbor....and a magna definitely not. a bellavue or a wedgeport, YES
you are comparing boats with very different aspects that each shine in there own desired way

commtuna

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
2000 tons of steel
personally i dont consider a dixon a novi nor do most in my harbor....and a magna definitely not. a bellavue or a wedgeport, YES
you are comparing boats with very different aspects that each shine in there own desired way

True. A 42 Wedgeport and a 42 Wesmac share nothing in common other than length.

hague

Lieutenant Commander
Its hard to classify a Dixon nowadays as novi since they acquired the osmond mold. theyre older molds were novi style. in general novis carry a lot more weight and push a lot more water. more fuel efficient is really a myth. they dont really plane so no one ever put big hp in them so they have low burn rates because theres not a huge power plant in them. a de with the same lower hp would probably do better on fuel. novis are better all around sea boats, not made to punch into a head sea but more to lay in it. 40 foot novis have been fishing georges for a long time when it blows they just sit like a duck with a riding sail a lot more stable than de but de is better head sea boat. i own a novi for the record. 4 tons of ice in the hold the stern might go down an inch rides 3x better without ice sterns right on the water and slaps

Top Bottom