Survey - "wet" hull?

rlalaw

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Padebco
Looking at a nice downeast 29 hull, Webbers Cove, used as a family boat. The hull was painted a few years ago, nothing fancy but I really like her. Survey comes back with this... can anyone help interpret? Do I walk, run, or stay?

The hull is mostly Dry except for a band approximately 6 to 8 wide just above the waterline along both sides of the hull from approximately of the way aft of the bow to the transom which shows Wet. There does not appear to be a core in the hull in this area and the cause of this reading is not obvious.

rlalaw

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Padebco
thanks - that's basically around the entire perimeter of the boat. so I shouldn't be worried - it's more like there was some water/moisture in the bilge?

joelucci33

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.nepoutdoors.com
negative...its more like the fiberglass is waterlogged. Senior members correct me if im wrong. But as far as i know and remember from watching a few surveys and asking a few questions that means there is water in the fiberglass. Who surveryed the boat?

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
1. Moisture meteres can be inaccurate
2. surveyors are normally inaccurate (remember the saying those that can;t do inspect)
3. according to the internet only epoxy is water proof, polyester sucks, ever notice how all those polyester boats take water in and sink ;)

4. Its a solid glass hull, don;t worry about it!!!!! ENJOY LIFE ON THE WATER

rlalaw

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Padebco
that's reassuring.. apparently the boat is in "good" condition and suitable for coastal cruising, etc. according to the guy.. just don't know what the moisture meter is really good for. It seems precise and scientific tool, but it's really the carpenter, not the tools...

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Looking at a nice downeast 29 hull, Webbers Cove, used as a family boat. The hull was painted a few years ago, nothing fancy but I really like her. Survey comes back with this... can anyone help interpret? Do I walk, run, or stay?

The hull is mostly Dry except for a band approximately 6 to 8 wide just above the waterline along both sides of the hull from approximately of the way aft of the bow to the transom which shows Wet. There does not appear to be a core in the hull in this area and the cause of this reading is not obvious.

If that is the survey report, I would not put to much stock in it. How can he not know if the hull is or is not cord in that area?

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
. It seems precise and scientific tool, but it's really the carpenter, not the tools...

It is a carpenters tool, even they know its accuracy is 80% at best, being its calibrated from the factory for WOOD, i personally feel it has no business in the marine industry, especially since the guy using does not have training from the vendor(as every moisture meter read differently) on how to use it appropriately. On a side note, a better tool for the job is thermal imaging, but you still need training on how to read it right.

Bulman711

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
31 JC
It is a carpenters tool, even they know its accuracy is 80% at best, being its calibrated from the factory for WOOD, i personally feel it has no business in the marine industry, especially since the guy using does not have training from the vendor(as every moisture meter read differently) on how to use it appropriately. On a side note, a better tool for the job is thermal imaging, but you still need training on how to read it right.
If you use a thermal imager are you looking for "Cold" spots as wet ones?

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
your looking for temperature differentials most the time a wet area will show up as blue. it wont tell you if its wet or not but you can discern that.
So for example scan over an area and it will be yellow and orange then one spot shows blue because the change in temperature indicate a wet area. Put a dry piece of wood in front of the camera then put a piece of wet wood in front of the camara then you will know what to look for. Also set some you could also call service master and have them send a guy out and shot it for you it may cost a little but then you will know. I usually charge about 150.00 to come out if i'm not very far away. Send me a pm and i can talk you through it if you decide to get a camara or post the pictures on here.

Estimator

Commander
Boat Make
43 Torres
My experience

Quick story.
I had a guy who wanted to by my boat last year. His surveyor came down to "pre-inspect" my boat before it was hauled.
I had just finished cleaning my boat and he showed up 30 seconds after I finished rinsing. He jumps on and puts his meter on my gunnels and said " wow, this boat has a wet hull" I looked at the buyer and his "surveyor" and said no kidding, I just finished washing the area. They looked at my if I was from Mars and the buyer said that he has to go with his surveyors opinion and walked away.
My point is a surveyor is a person that gives his or her's opinion of the condition of the boat kind of like a home inspector you might call when buying a house. For my next boat I will use a surveyor just for a second opinion but if the boat is something that I really like, is the right price and condition is ok I will make an offer to buy it.
Go with your gut feeling on the deal and best of luck.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
1. Moisture meteres can be inaccurate
2. surveyors are normally inaccurate (remember the saying those that can;t do inspect)
3. according to the internet only epoxy is water proof, polyester sucks, ever notice how all those polyester boats take water in and sink ;)

4. Its a solid glass hull, don;t worry about it!!!!! ENJOY LIFE ON THE WATER
Go with this advice......and never use that surveyor again:roll:

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF

Actually depends on the time of day and ambient temp. Being water is a fantastic conducted it will warmup faster and cool off faster. Also rot / fungus will produce heat. Ever notice on a cool morning a mulch pile looks as if steam is coming from it .

Last edited:

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
these metering tools are just guides. just to help give you an idea but for examples if most of the area is dry by the meter and one area is reading wet then investigate a little more i would pay more attention to just a small area reading wet the a great big area. also metal will set the meters off and they are so sensitive they will detect moisture in your hand so don't base your whole decision on the meter but it just an assist tool. if you can find some wood somewhere and test it on bare wood the meter is very accurate there.

mudhake

Captain
I am wondering if the the boat in questin has a Isuzu in it for a motor, and from Maine.

rlalaw

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Padebco
yes and yes - do you know the boat, or are you the owner??

Top Bottom