Survival Suits

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Just a thought, for everyone on the hard where are your survival suits? The suits should be taken out of their bags and hung up for 48 hours every six months. When I take the boat out of the water my six suits come home and are hung for the winter. In the spring each suit is examined, batteries in the lights replaced, zippers waxed and reposition the hard plastic bags in the legs if needed. Then repacked in its bag.

It is just one of the things people forget about.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Just a thought, for everyone on the hard where are your survival suits? The suits should be taken out of their bags and hung up for 48 hours every six months. When I take the boat out of the water my six suits come home and are hung for the winter. In the spring each suit is examined, batteries in the lights replaced, zippers waxed and reposition the hard plastic bags in the legs if needed. Then repacked in its bag.

It is just one of the things people forget about.
What about were people are keeping them on there boat I like to keep hanging from roof in wheel house

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
GH,

The point I was trying to make was are your suits hanging or are they still in the bags. Not where they were hanging. For people out of the water all year round it is a different story.

Last weekend I was at the marina where I dock. I talked to a boat owner who said he took everything off the boat because of his concern about the dock workers rebuilding the docks there and piled everything in his cellar. As the converstion went on the suits in their bags were on the bottom of the pile. I asked him about hanging the suits and he said, "What?"

Tonight I was in the cellar where my suits are hung and thought of the converation.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
GH,

The point I was trying to make was are your suits hanging or are they still in the bags. Not where they were hanging. For people out of the water all year round it is a different story.

Last weekend I was at the marina where I dock. I talked to a boat owner who said he took everything off the boat because of his concern about the dock workers rebuilding the docks there and piled everything in his cellar. As the converstion went on the suits in their bags were on the bottom of the pile. I asked him about hanging the suits and he said, "What?"

Tonight I was in the cellar where my suits are hung and thought of the converation.
Yeah I think you have a great point but its also a can you get then when you need then on the boat keep the great tips coming there are a lot of guys that need them lol

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
You are right if you can't get to the suits what good are they to you.

DEs have hatches on their truck cabin tops. Part of my safety lecture to new people on the boat is if you are down below and there is a fire or other problem do not go aft (as one's instinct would say to do) but go up though the the truck cabin hatch.

Somewhere just after this site got started there is a thread about a 22' Sisu. In it I explained how I got blown up on the boat. This is why I'm a little bit more aware of safety than most people.

mattinri

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Nordhavn 46
Guilty! I've got to admit, mine are still in the bags in the cellar. You've shamed me into hanging them - thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom