SW Boatworks Now Have the Libby 41 and Libby 38 Molds

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Maybe Jake and Josephine????

Aspiration33

Lieutenant
you know if a guy wants to go spend the money he worked for on a shit load of molds all the more power for him. there is no law stopping you going out to buy somebody to. atleast somebody is there if you want one. how would like to be rp's position with some burn't up molds that nobody is ever going to get a hull again. when he starts making millions he will have compation. just like when steel went through the roof everybody became a scrapper. so when he puts his helicopter and pad in his back yard you might want to start building molds to. atleast the molds didn't end up destroyed. i think if you start a list you will see there is alot of good molds still out there. its proven that one man can only breathe that much resin on till his done to.

The point here is not money on Stewarts end, because from what I have heard, he basically stole them from the Libby's, I heard he paid less than 3,000 each for them.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
For what it's worth

The point here is not money on Stewarts end, because from what I have heard, he basically stole them from the Libby's, I heard he paid less than 3,000 each for them.

Back in October on a Saturday morning I was poking around on google and found a Maine number for Ernest Libby. I wanted to talk with someone about the 34.

I dialed the number and an "older gentleman" answered the phone. It was Mr. Libby himself. We talked for a while, nice guy, talked about his 34.

He stated to me he was in very bad health and his kids/grandids had no real interest in building boats. They were fishermen.

That was about it with the conversation.

Bill D

unclefish

Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
frank you are 100% right when they get big they usually forget where they came from. but you will not know that know.

Aspiration33

Lieutenant
Back in October on a Saturday morning I was poking around on google and found a Maine number for Ernest Libby. I wanted to talk with someone about the 34.

I dialed the number and an "older gentleman" answered the phone. It was Mr. Libby himself. We talked for a while, nice guy, talked about his 34.

He stated to me he was in very bad health and his kids/grandids had no real interest in building boats. They were fishermen.

That was about it with the conversation.

Bill D

Yeah, he can't fish anymore either, he's just another legend in the boat building industry.

ltdann

Lieutenant
Dave I would have to disagree on this one, one business stacking up on the molds and doing away with the competition is never a good thing. Seems like the pricing has fallen in line with Wesmac.

The only line SW has that I would be intrested in is CB.My brother has a WB 36 and would buy another one.
Young brothers IMO is a little outdated I think their 40 was 13' and change
wide, hull design has come a long way since they were made.

When was the last 32 BHM laid-up? I had one for 5yrs,plenty of room
under deck but takes a lot of power to push it.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
It's too bad the economy is forcing some boat builders out of business... hate to see any good business have to call it quits. I think Stewart is doing a good thing by keeping these boats available to the public. The younger generation of Young bros and Libby obviously were not interested in keeping the boat building going (who could blame them with the economy), so an opportunity to buy up some molds is presented to Stewart.

$3,000 for a mold that was not being used sounds like a fair price for both parties. Then you include the price of transporting them, storing them, liability, and the possibility of minor repairs to the molds before they can be used, and the $3,000 initial investment turns into a $15,000 (or more) investment. Best of luck to Stewart in his new purchase.

swboatworks

Lieutenant
Has anyone seen any major price increases? The only increase will be to offset the price of resin which keeps going up. It is not my intenetion to raise any prices on the boats. It makes sense to me to keep them as affordable as possible. I would rather sell them than have them sit.
If anyone has any concern about me owning them and keeping them from getting destroyed ,maybe they should step up to the plate and buy them from me.
Or better yet invest a million dollars in a boat building buisness and keep the tradition going.

swboatworks

Lieutenant
Also, if it is needed to know ,I also made a gentlemens aggreement with the Libby Boys out of respect of Ernist ,that if they needed a new hull for themselves then they could use any of their fathers design to build one.
YB and the Libbys. Does that sound like stealing?? and price gouging?

MikesMarine22

Captain
Boat Make
Holland 14, YB 33
Sounds reasonable to me. Some people do not understand what it takes to build a boat or the expenses.

VPC

Lieutenant Commander
Consider the Source

I think you should be applauded for your business savy and ability to continue the Downeaster tradition, it's without a doubt a little piece of"Americana" that should live on. I have an expression a little knowledge is dangerous and those cynacal or critical should perhaps pause a moment and maybe reconsider their stance. You're in business to build boats and keep your workers employed. The lion share of people buying lobster boats usually research their purchase and if a builder declines in quality it'll surface. I've never met you in person but our conversations have been well received on both ends.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I think you should be applauded for your business savy and ability to continue the Downeaster tradition, it's without a doubt a little piece of"Americana" that should live on. I have an expression a little knowledge is dangerous and those cynacal or critical should perhaps pause a moment and maybe reconsider their stance. You're in business to build boats and keep your workers employed. The lion share of people buying lobster boats usually research their purchase and if a builder declines in quality it'll surface. I've never met you in person but our conversations have been well received on both ends.

I'll second this comment!

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
Everybody in business for them self knows you have to make money to survive. It's not a crime to be in business and make money. It's how we put food on the table. Nobody is driving Ferraris. We are just trying to make a living. If you think self employment is easy, you're crazy. Best of luck to Stewart. I wish you success in your new molds.

swboatworks

Lieutenant
Thank You Gentlemen!!! We have been updating the websites. keep checking them out . The work in progress has been updated recently. We are finishing up on a 38 Calvin Beal finished out as a high end yacht. Everything is polished out inside. getting ready to get Awlgripped. This should be one of the fanciest CB 38 that I know of. Tons of room in these boats for the cruiser/sportfish application. We are starting another 38 Calvin yacht in 2 weeks. this one is heading to New York. We hope to have our new 30 in production May 2012. Cant wait till we get this one floating. Several people interested. I would like to get one built before the summer so we can play around with the Lobsterboat races but I am not sure if time will let us. We will try for sure.
Abunch of 38 and 44 Calvin Beal kits to build. The new shop is working great. We are looking fwd to a great spring and summer. Thanks for all the support. Keep an eye out for the "new ships store" on my websites. We are starting out selling Calvin Beal and SW Boatworks Jackets,shirts,totes etc... Young Brothers coats and shirts will be real soon!

Thanks Again, Stewart

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
SW Boatworks

Every time I have asked Stew for his opinion or help with my current project he has always found the time to answer my questions and price out a new boat. His setup and operation is simply amazing along with professional. I believe his labor rates are reasonable and don't forget that his workmanship is tops. I was on the 38' CB yacht and it is phenomenal. If in the area, swing in and take a look at what is going on, talk to Stew and I will bet you will walk out with a smile on your face after the wow factor sinks in.

Please don't envy a man and his family who has gone out and put their heart and soul into keeping a great boat building tradition alive during tough economic times.

Dave

Last edited:

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Thing is no one who hasn't gone into business for themselves will ever know what it takes no matter what! That's just the way it is! The fact is someone who does a great job and and has a great product thru innovation and hard work, makes it look easy so people think it was. They do not see what it took to get to that stage or that the only way to offer the product at a reasonable price is to invest $$, to be efficient, innovative and have specialized techniques to keep costs down.

MikesMarine22

Captain
Boat Make
Holland 14, YB 33
Thank You Gentlemen!!! We have been updating the websites. keep checking them out . The work in progress has been updated recently. We are finishing up on a 38 Calvin Beal finished out as a high end yacht. Everything is polished out inside. getting ready to get Awlgripped. This should be one of the fanciest CB 38 that I know of. Tons of room in these boats for the cruiser/sportfish application. We are starting another 38 Calvin yacht in 2 weeks. this one is heading to New York. We hope to have our new 30 in production May 2012. Cant wait till we get this one floating. Several people interested. I would like to get one built before the summer so we can play around with the Lobsterboat races but I am not sure if time will let us. We will try for sure.
Abunch of 38 and 44 Calvin Beal kits to build. The new shop is working great. We are looking fwd to a great spring and summer. Thanks for all the support. Keep an eye out for the "new ships store" on my websites. We are starting out selling Calvin Beal and SW Boatworks Jackets,shirts,totes etc... Young Brothers coats and shirts will be real soon!

Thanks Again, Stewart
Stewart,
Any updated pictures on the 33 Young Brothers that was just laid up? Would love to see the progress. A 33 may be my next boat..... your doing a great job! Love the website.
Thanks,
Mike

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
Considering I have my DEBF shirts I will be lookingto add to my wardrobe with some of those SW Boatworks and CB T Shirts. Please let me know if I buy a new 36' I get a free T Shirt?

Dave

Top Bottom