http://southcoast.craigslist.org/boa/4099095750.html

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Gorgeous boat.

Probably has a perrkins 4 and makes 14 kts or something ridiculous too.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Just meant that it must be efficient as hell being so long and narrow. Looks like a great ride.

dremsen

Ensign
Royal Lowell

It's been a while since anyone posted on this thread but now I'm in the hot seat and thinking of buying this boat. Mudhake, would you mind sharing your impressions of it? I hear wildly differing opinions regarding a sealed wooden hull like this. I have friends who tell me that if the boat was really taken down to the wood, wetted with epoxy, then glassed then faired out with thick stuff that it was done right and should last. I've talk to surveyors on the phone who just laugh at the idea a boat can be treated like that. The guy wants to trade my '85 26' CC Seaway and some cash for this boat. I think it's gorgeous and my use is basically noodling around my part of the Cape. The owner talks it up but I'm in need of object 3rd party views. - Dave R

CMR

Lieutenant
Boat Make
D. Hylan 29’ Beals Island
Tagging along to this thread… also interested in opinions on glass over wood.

The best negative explanation I heard is that glass-over-wood will strengthen & keep outside water from penetrating but it also stops the wood from breathing. Moisture/rain entering from above is essentially trapped & will rot the wood. It’s a good practice if an owner wants an inexpensive way to add a few years to a woodie but is not be a long-term solution.

Sounds plausible, but I don’t know how accurate it is or what the useful life is once it’s done.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
I would probably want to see some pictures of the work in process myself and go through the work that was done...but if he's willing to take your old boat in trade for it, well it's a no-brainer for me!

That boat with the exception of the transom reminds me of that commuter boat Aphrodite.

pugsley

Captain
plenty of glass over wood boats around, it should be fine. of course if you glass rotten wood, it's still rotten.

Top Bottom