Switching from documentated vessel to state registered in MA

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by rusty12, May 15, 2019.

1. rusty12

rusty12 Member

I am in the process to paying off the last of the loan with the bank with the boat being documented. What will I need to do as far as deletion with the documentation etc. And what will I need to register it in MA once its paid off? Sales tax was paid in MA when I purchased it

Thanks

2. Genius

Genius Captain

Kailua Kid likes this.
  3. Ben Zehnder

Ben Zehnder Member

Attorney
    Boat Make:
    Flowers 25
    I would keep it documented. Make sure you get a lien release from the bank and register it. Good luck.

4. rusty12

rusty12 Member

So after making a few calls it looks like once the loan is paid then I have to wait 7-10 days for a release of lien. Once I get that I have to fill out a deletion of documentation from and send it in. I was told that it could take a long time to get that back before I can state register it. Some states allow you to keep the documentation and still state register but not in MA

5. Genius

Genius Captain

usually (in rhode island), you can keep your documentation and pay the state to get the sticker, but no numbers. You cannot be documented and registered in a state to my knowledge. That is what people are supposed to do if you meet the days in state requirement. Why do you want to get out of documentation?

6. rusty12

rusty12 Member

For the coast guard safety inspection it will cost a lot less...different requirements for state registered vs documented....liferaft...sat phone....cpr/first aid etc.. state registered boat can be fishing 50 miles out and need a lot less than documented boat to be in compliance

7. Genius

Genius Captain

Gotcha, is this fisheries related?

8. BHC.com

BHC.com Senior Member

What size is the boat ?
    My experience or what I’ve been told is that any vessel over a certain length (27 ft) was supposed to be documented

9. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Rusty, did you look into this recently ? I ask because if you are Tuna fishing now (as of last year) you have to have the same gear the documented vessels have. No matter the size. This is from the USCG.

10. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    26 Duffy, 14 Holland
    I'm not sure the size of your boat, but there is still a difference in what is required for a Documented boat and a State Registered boat. The biggest and most expensive difference I've noticed is State Registered boats can have an "Inflatable Buoyant Device" instead of a Solas A Liferaft, out to 100 miles that is. Run the checklist generator for your boat Documented and State Registered and see what the differences are.

11. rusty12

rusty12 Member

First aid/cpr FCC license...drill conductor course and sat phone or SSB are required for a documented vessel and not a state registered boat. A state registered boat can go out 100 miles with less gear than a documented boat that can only be out to 20 miles. And yes the raft is one of the biggest costs. Repack on a valise is half of a solas

12. rusty12

rusty12 Member

Mudd I'm not sure that is true. I ran several different scenarios with the checklist generator documented and state registered. There is still a big difference with each of them. They have been doing inspections on boats already and that has not been mentioned. Plenty of valise rafts are being used for inspections.

13. rusty12

rusty12 Member

it seems you could ask 3 different people and get three different answers but as of now I think we would have to go by the checklist generator which is what they use when the inspection is done

14. Ripcat

Ripcat Senior Member

Boat Make:
    35’ Duffy, Cummins 400C
    Based on my experience thus far with my new rig, which is documented, you are spot on Rusty. Documented vessels need quite a bit more than state reg...so now i own a sat phone, have an FCC license, etc. Been quite expensive getting the extra stuff but it is what it is. And i spent hours on the phone with the CG ensuring i understand these things.

15. Brooksie

Brooksie Captain

Boat Make:
    Bruno-Stillman 35
    Funny, we can agree on most everything here on this forum, even the most complicated tech subjects. But anything to do with state or federal regs there seems to be endless discussion and no resolution... We all know you can also call a fed agency 3 times and get 3 different answers.
    My feeling is that if CG documentation (or the RMV or whatever) that I am registered with wants me to do/have something, they should send me a letter and tell me. Otherwise I just go along the way I am. I have 2 documented boats, I replace my documents every year, and no one has ever proposed to me what I need aboard.

16. rusty12

rusty12 Member

I spoke with the inspector today there is different requirements for each... and yes documented vessels need a lot more then State registered

17. bassriver

bassriver Member

If the boat is over 5 tons, then technically it is required to be documented if commercial fishing on a fishery endorsement. Some guys play with the tonnage measurement and have class/technical group like ABS come out and admeasure such that the boat falls below 5 tons. If you have documentation to prove under 5 tons, then you can state register and commercial fish. This is why you see foreign built larger hulls who commercial tuna fish with state numbers on them.
    I have yet to hear of/experience the Coast Guard enforcing such requirements. My guess would be that if you secure state title/reg and have the requisite safety gear for a state reg boat, then you should be fine.
    To an earlier post, some states have mechanisms to secure a documented vessel registration - MA is not one of them. Good luck!