Swivel rod holders, why do they cost a fortune? Do you really need them?

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Here's a few of the parts. I had designed these in SolidWorks and had molds made & get these cast in T316 stainless. I also had the liners custom extruded with UV inhibitors added, min of 400' at a time. Look out everyone, stainless and aluminum prices have gone up dramatically recently, prices are heading up.

Unpolished Newly Designed Cast Top.jpg

Newly Designed Cast Swivel.jpg

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
@MAArcher, no one can say it WON'T work, you may get lucky and get one in, especially from a smaller boat that will get towed around easier by a big fish. Definitely a big advantage to have swivel rod holders. While it is nice to have 15 of them all over the boat, you really only need one.

I have fought big fish (not GBFT) from a fixed rod holder before, you really have to be on your game with handling the boat to have the line coming off at minimal angle.

c1steve

Captain
For swivel rod holders, going after tuna/ swordfish up to 800 lbs., would you want 9" or 11"?

MAArcher

Captain
I guess part of what was confusing me is that I wasn’t thinking of a rod with a slot on the but locked in to a holder so it can’t move at all. I was thinking of the regular striper rods I have with round or flat butts that can move a bit.

I just read about a guy who just puts a golf ball in his holders to stop his rods from locking.

jap201

Lieutenant
that works, many a fish has been taken like that. but it can bind up, and you're probably using smaller/stock rod holders. swivel rod holders are purpose built, and work great. i prefer swivel rod holders for gbft. but for other large fish, i go standup.

Dorado

Commander
I’ve used golf balls too. It’s fine but that’s typically for a rec guy that gets into a jam with a big fish. It’s a helluva way to find out if your gunnels are soft.

AtoZ

Lieutenant Commander
Holy sh!!! Never heard of or seen that before! Did ya get the fish?

Isle of Shoal

Lieutenant
First Name
William
Swivel me this Batman , so many Prima Donna's .LOL. I'm not saying they are not beneficial.

leaky

Vice Admiral
For swivel rod holders, going after tuna/ swordfish up to 800 lbs., would you want 9" or 11"?

Talking bluefin, I'm not sure it matters. The week point IMO isn't the rod holder or the way the reel sits in it, same thing w/ 3 bolt or 4 bolt style, all of them work if installed right. The biggest difference I have seen tends to be the hardware, crappy liners crack and/or the rod butts get grooved from contacting the metal, crappy swivel mechanisms don't hold a setting and the rods are either flailing around wildly or they tighten & loosen as you turn them from side to side (seems like usually the fine thread adjustment ones work better, be it from the actual thread or the thought that went into the rest of the setup)..

The shorter ones tend to be narrower, basically they match the taper on the rod butts.

The longer ones allow other types of rods to bottom out w/ the reel on the gunnel, basically they only work for long bent butts unless you want to dick around with putting pins in them that eventually you will smash a 130 butt into and sheer. This is a non issue if you have all sorts of different rod holders but if you are only going to run swivels I think 9 inch style is better.

If you are limited on space underneath or want the reel to sit lower/higher you might choose differently too.

Kinda is what it is, a deeper rod holder is all.

leaky

Vice Admiral
Just a reminder of how hard these fish pull...

View attachment 103283

Haha OK I have seen that sort of thing referenced before, would like to know the story. Also have seen a picture of one that just sheered too. Never got to ask anyone first hand about it.

What brand and class is that & what drag made it happen? What # mainline?

Saco Bay at one point was custom bending the butts to get them past the typical angle, whenever I hear about one of those I wonder if it was a cheap butt or one that got mucked around with. I'll believe you just hard to imagine how say an Aftco 130 would fail that way, before the rod snapped or something else gave way that is.

Ms.Aimee

Captain
So thankfully that wasn't my rod. I was fishing next to him that day and he fought one for 6-8 hours. Also, hes been fishing for quite some time so i have to assume his tackle was sized appropriately as well as his drag set at a reasonable setting. He said it wasn't mechanical failure in the reel it just layed over. Somehow he stripped the remaining backing off the rod and wound it on to another or spliced it together and continued to fight the fish. Then lost it at the boat.

GLA

Commander
You only need them if you are fishing commercial.

Stand up, 50 wides, recreational. Not needed.
also depends how old and decrepit you and your crew are.
the last big eye I caught stand up hurt for a month. shortly after that I put in two long and one short swivel
I can't take the heat anymore and my crew can't either.
better off with a few swivels to allow you to stay in the game. may not be as sporting, but it lets us stay fishing
as things start to break down the older you get, it's worth the money to put in a few that you can use
we can all still handle a yellowfin on jigging rods, but those other bastards, well you know

MAArcher

Captain
also depends how old and decrepit you and your crew are.
the last big eye I caught stand up hurt for a month. shortly after that I put in two long and one short swivel
I can't take the heat anymore and my crew can't either.
better off with a few swivels to allow you to stay in the game. may not be as sporting, but it lets us stay fishing
as things start to break down the older you get, it's worth the money to put in a few that you can use
we can all still handle a yellowfin on jigging rods, but those other bastards, well you know
I’m getting decrepit. And I’m more grocery shopping than looking for sport. I’ve been keeping an eye out for used electric reels.

Top Bottom