Swivel rod holders, why do they cost a fortune? Do you really need them?

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Joshbel02

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.allagashbuilders.com
Boat Make
Sonny Hodgeton/Wayne Beal
If you are not using bent butt rods the swivels are useless and some people use small bent butts to fight standing in a harness but if all you will use are straight butt you don't need them.
After reading this I feel like I need more education under my belt to be on this forum

jap201

Lieutenant
A handline, a can or 2 of spinach & a can of Red Bull is all you need to catch a tuna
been many years since i've seen someone using a handline, but your right, they catch fish. nothing like the sound of the breakaway line parting with a fish on

Guppy

Lieutenant
Handline works for me. 550 cord with a poly ball on the end just incase. A lot cheaper and a lot of fun. Last handlined the end of 2018 season.

MAArcher

Captain
I was thinking why couldn’t I just use warp and drag em in with the hauler? Put a spring or some shock cord between the davit and block.

Snake8

Commander
So thankfully that wasn't my rod. I was fishing next to him that day and he fought one for 6-8 hours. Also, hes been fishing for quite some time so i have to assume his tackle was sized appropriately as well as his drag set at a reasonable setting. He said it wasn't mechanical failure in the reel it just layed over. Somehow he stripped the remaining backing off the rod and wound it on to another or spliced it together and continued to fight the fish. Then lost it at the boat.
I wonder if thats the same story I heard. Capt out of Gloucester? Rod broke and he somehow was able to splice the line mid fight to another rod. I dont recall the losing the fish part.

Jamato14

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Jim
Boat Make
23’ Palmetto Custom CC
Nothing wrong with standard holders depending on the species you’re fighting but for BFT (you’re out of the northeast based on profile) so you’re most likely going to be in giants and large mediums. IMO you’ll be out for days to weeks to years on end learning and trying different techniques, learning what you’re boat can handle etc. So you finally hook up after all that work, time, and money and you want to skimp one of the most important pieces at a cost so insignificant (when it comes to tuna fishing)? Can it be done out of a standard holder, yes. If you arent experienced and are learning you want every advantage. If you truly are into heavy shark or any tuna fishing, spend the $150/piece for swivels and go with 2 or 3 to start. When talking tuna fishing, $150 is nothing, that’s a fraction of a trip expense after being fully rigged so might as well put that in up front (IMO could be wrong and I’m sure more experienced folks may disagree).

Top Bottom