Swordfish Handgear

Berg

Lieutenant
Did they remove buoy gear from the proposed amendment? When I read this a few months ago I thought I remembered reading that the amendment allowed for fishing up to 6 buoys at a time.

greg

Captain
Did they remove buoy gear from the proposed amendment? When I read this a few months ago I thought I remembered reading that the amendment allowed for fishing up to 6 buoys at a time.

Apparently they did. From another board....

The amendment does not authorize buoy gear. Below is taken from the federal register:

"Enact management measures to establish new and modified commercial
vessel permits that would allow for a limited number of swordfish to be caught on rod and reel, handline,harpoon, bandit gear, or green-stick gear".

Buoy gear is intentionally not listed and many discussions at the HMS AP focused on preserving the value of existing limited access permits by limiting catch and gear types. It is no accident that there is no mention of buoy gear.

Ralph

greg

Captain
northeast.com in the fisheries management section. There is a multi-page comm-on-comm pissing match going on.

I can understand the angst, but really don't think it's gonna hurt the directed permit holders at all. It just gives the boats like Destiny runs a shot at a few fish at night.

Berg

Lieutenant
Rog. Doesn't seem like the FL guys realize that buoy gear isn't included. Are you going to meeting tonight?

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
At the meeting in Gloucester they said it everything gos smooth there would be a chance that we could have them by mid summer this year and still did not know on limits but where thinking between 1-6 a trip

Berg

Lieutenant
After talking with some guys that went to the Gloucester meeting it sounds like we may be able to take swords this Fall if the amendment does not get held up.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
We'll just getting back with the internet over here and out of touch... any new developments with this? Thanks Shawn

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom