tach question

boot

Lieutenant
If i'm reading 3000 rpm's on the boats stock tach under no load and a hand held phototach reads 2800 at the same time,is it safe to say if I was cruising at 2800 rpm's under load I would actually be running at 2600 rpm's.Would the 200 rpm difference be consistent throughout different variables of load and throttle.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
If i'm reading 3000 rpm's on the boats stock tach under no load and a hand held phototach reads 2800 at the same time,is it safe to say if I was cruising at 2800 rpm's under load I would actually be running at 2600 rpm's.Would the 200 rpm difference be consistent throughout different variables of load and throttle.

IMO not safe to say at all.
Tachometers that are "off" to actual rpms are not always lineal in error.

You'd be best to phototach the engine in increments of say 200 rpms from idle to WOT and note the difference with the analogue tach.

Or install an Aetna digital tach...accurate to +- 1 rpm.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
What he said. Bill helped me over last winter spec out the Aetna digital tachs after I bought a photo tach & realized I had no idea what my rpms were. Great investment!

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
It's probably a linear progression as RPMs increase, so does your differential. That's what I've seen w/ the tachs in my DMR.

Top Bottom