Tagged RI BFT caught in Nova Scotia 16 yrs later

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
spell check: Great that she "Dodged" capture..

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
I fished with Capt Al a couple times back in that timeframe. It wasn't uncommon to tag 30-40 SBFT a day back then. Unfortunately I haven't seen any significant numbers of this size fish in that area since 2005 or 2006.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
I fished with Capt Al a couple times back in that timeframe. It wasn't uncommon to tag 30-40 SBFT a day back then. Unfortunately I haven't seen any significant numbers of this size fish in that area since 2005 or 2006.

I read his books then chartered with him a few seasons to learn. Remember when he would set the troll valve & leave one fish in the water to hold the school and walk everyone around the boat? De-hook, tag go over to the port side & pick up another hooked fish!

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
We did that with him once when we were jigging. He had the system down but could get a little gruff with his customers. It was all about the fish numbers. We started fishing with Dave Prebel after the 2nd trip. It was more relaxed with Dave and we caught the same numbers of fish.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
We did that with him once when we were jigging. He had the system down but could get a little gruff with his customers. It was all about the fish numbers. We started fishing with Dave Prebel after the 2nd trip. It was more relaxed with Dave and we caught the same numbers of fish.

After the second season I never went with him again due to that. I was off & running catching on my own by then so never chartered again.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
We were tuna fishing on our own also but the charter trips were more of a social thing with 5 or 6 guys.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Interesting story: I caught a BF that Capt. Al tagged and reported the recovery. About 2 months later I received the data about the tag in the mail. The most interesting thing about the recapture for me was that I caught the fish almost to the day a year later, less than a mile from where it was tagged a year earlier.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Interesting story: I caught a BF that Capt. Al tagged and reported the recovery. About 2 months later I received the data about the tag in the mail. The most interesting thing about the recapture for me was that I caught the fish almost to the day a year later, less than a mile from where it was tagged a year earlier.

That's cool. I caught one of his tagged fish on Jefferys Ledge. And a blue dog I tagged with him was recaptured in spain a couple years later. That is real interesting stuff.

Mark D

Lieutenant Commander
Caught one that he had tagged on Oct 9, 1998 .. it was 26" . Caught it on Oct 9, 2004 .. it was 80". Originally tagged off Block Island . recaptured in the Hudson Canyon .. what are the odds of catching the fish the same date 6 years later?

CaptAlex

Lieutenant
Boat Make
35' H&H
The important thing to note here is that the fish gained over 1100lbs in 16 years, which is TWICE THE GROWTH RATE THAT NMFS bases management on ...

Top Bottom