TAMD41A plunger lift setting

PBianculli

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26’ Fortier
Hey guys,
I recently had my injection pump rebuilt and and can’t seem to find the correct value for setting the plunger lift in my service manual. Has anyone encountered this before? Engine is a TAMD41A. I am debating on using the TAMD41B value of 1.80 mm.
Thank you!

C126CBBB-602C-4A4E-94A1-B7C7C2063CFE.jpeg

PBianculli

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26’ Fortier
The plunger lift distance is what you set when the pump is rotated. The pump is technically timed to the engine on installation because the bolt holes in the flange on the pump and gear are concentric. Some people refer to the rotation as timing, but not as per Volvo.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
You might want to check "boatdiesel.com" for the setting. I do remember their being an issue with the actual procedure in the manual. When I followed it exactly, my 41P ran like crap. Problem had to do with the amount of rotation to set it. If I remember correctly it turned out the plunger wasn't bottomed out. Redid it, bottomed it out before setting it, and it worked prefect.

PBianculli

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26’ Fortier
You might want to check "boatdiesel.com" for the setting. I do remember their being an issue with the actual procedure in the manual. When I followed it exactly, my 41P ran like crap. Problem had to do with the amount of rotation to set it. If I remember correctly it turned out the plunger wasn't bottomed out. Redid it, bottomed it out before setting it, and it worked prefect.

I got a reply to my post on boat diesel a little while ago, I was told 1.90mm for pleasure use and 1.80mm for medium duty use. I ended up going with 1.80mm, and my engine runs real smooth on land. Hopefully when I launch this weekend it will run just as smooth.

Top Bottom