Tautog Fishing in MA

duxbait

Captain
Noticed theres no endorsement in MA for Tautog, nor is there a general fish pot. Does this mean I can pot Tautog with a commercial boat license? Anyone know what the market is like per lb and where to sell? Not looking to make a ton of money off this but I have the gear and am already on the water, so any extra profit helps. I also have bait well capabilities to handle the 40 fish limit.

Mvywheels

Commander
Boat Make
RI Marine
As long as you have a Ma commercial rod and reel lic you can take them, but you can only pot them as by catch if you hold a Ma scup pot or sea bass pot. At the last DMF hearing they were talking about making a limited entry tautog pot for fish pot permit holders that have a history of landing tog as a by catch during the scup and sea bass seasons. If I understood Dan correctly, any one else have input?

duxbait

Captain
Sounds tough then. Rod and Reel is considerably more time to get 40 than pots. Where I was thinking of setting we average a little over 5lbs tog to a lobster pot in the spring. Thanks for the info

duxbait

Captain
Heres the law on fishing pots

(7) Fishing with pots is unlawful except when fishing for:

(a) scup, sea bass, and whelk subject to permit requirements specified in 322 CMR 7.09;

(b) lobsters and edible crabs subject to permit requirements of 322 CMR 7.01( 2) and M.G.L. c. 130, §§ 37 and 38;

(c) species that may be taken by fishermen issued an experimental fishery letter of authorization by the Director under M.G.L. c. 130, § 17;

(d) eels subject to M.G.L. c. 130, §§ 52 and 100D; and

(e) green crabs subject to M.G.L. c. 130, § 37A.

CMEBoston

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds tough then. Rod and Reel is considerably more time to get 40 than pots. Where I was thinking of setting we average a little over 5lbs tog to a lobster pot in the spring. Thanks for the info
takes me 6 hrs or so when the bite is on

duxbait

Captain
Thats a good pace CME, hopefully I can duplicate that. Anyone have any recommendations on dealers. I'll start calling around soon to see who's buying, but figured I'd check here first. Got one rec for a New bedford dealer. I'll be fishing in/around Duxbury so would be a little easier to get live ones to a closer buyer. If need be I have the gear to truck them for a little ways live.

PS. Thanks again for the advice. Great to have a forum with so much knowledge of the commercial industry.

CMEBoston

Lieutenant Commander
Thats a good pace CME, hopefully I can duplicate that. Anyone have any recommendations on dealers. I'll start calling around soon to see who's buying, but figured I'd check here first. Got one rec for a New bedford dealer. I'll be fishing in/around Duxbury so would be a little easier to get live ones to a closer buyer. If need be I have the gear to truck them for a little ways live.

PS. Thanks again for the advice. Great to have a forum with so much knowledge of the commercial industry.
I sell to reds best dead, FWIW the DMF is going to "crack down" on the sale of live blackfish.

duxbait

Captain
I sell to reds best dead, FWIW the DMF is going to "crack down" on the sale of live blackfish.
… like everything else. 15 bass a day 2 days a week this year most likely. Guess if you wanna fish rod and reel, the most sustainable method of fishing, your SOL.

CMEBoston

Lieutenant Commander
… like everything else. 15 bass a day 2 days a week this year most likely. Guess if you wanna fish rod and reel, the most sustainable method of fishing, your SOL.

I hear you but at the moment the DMFs stance on commercial rod and reel fishing is that it is A source of supplemental income. I would never admit on an open forum that I may consider breaking the law but if I did want to keep 40 to tog alive they would do just fine in my 35 gallon live well ;).

duxbait

Captain
I hear you but at the moment the DMFs stance on commercial rod and reel fishing is that it is A source of supplemental income. I would never admit on an open forum that I may consider breaking the law but if I did want to keep 40 to tog alive they would do just fine in my 35 gallon live well ;).

Can't find anything in the Mass laws (322 CMR 6.00) that say selling them alive is illegal. The ASMFC even says: "In recent years, however, commercial landings (of tautog) accounted for up to 40% of the catch in some states, largely due to a growing market for live fish."

CMEBoston

Lieutenant Commander

Can't find anything in the Mass laws (322 CMR 6.00) that say selling them alive is illegal. The ASMFC even says: "In recent years, however, commercial landings (of tautog) accounted for up to 40% of the catch in some states, largely due to a growing market for live fish."
I didn't attend this hearing but this is the letter.
Unless I'm reading it wrong
Tautog Management (322 CMR 6.40, 6.41 and 8.06). DMF is proposing to:
Clarify the existing minimum size rules by prohibiting possession by any person of any tautog smaller than 16 inches;
Prohibit dealers from possessing live tautog within 5 days after the start of a closed commercial fishing period;
Take comments on changes to the open commercial tautog fishing seasons;
Recodify all tautog rules (commercial and recreational) into a single section at 322 CMR 6.40; and

Notice of Public Hearings Scheduled for Wednesday, January 29, 2014

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
I didn't attend this hearing but this is the letter.
Unless I'm reading it wrong
Tautog Management (322 CMR 6.40, 6.41 and 8.06). DMF is proposing to:
Clarify the existing minimum size rules by prohibiting possession by any person of any tautog smaller than 16 inches;
Prohibit dealers from possessing live tautog within 5 days after the start of a closed commercial fishing period;
Take comments on changes to the open commercial tautog fishing seasons;
Recodify all tautog rules (commercial and recreational) into a single section at 322 CMR 6.40; and

Notice of Public Hearings Scheduled for Wednesday, January 29, 2014
I don't fish mass. but I can see you guy's better speak up for yourselves,or your gonna get screwed especially
dealers not allowed to possess. out of season, sounds like that would be illegal in itself, also this is a rec. fish , they catch 90%, you are already making concessions through the years while rec does not make concessions equal to there participation. good luck

duxbait

Captain

They certainly word it weird, but I read that as dealers have to get rid of their live togs as soon as the season closes. Basically trying to eliminate any illegal selling of tog during a closed season

CMEBoston

Lieutenant Commander
They certainly word it weird, but I read that as dealers have to get rid of their live togs as soon as the season closes. Basically trying to eliminate any illegal selling of tog during a closed season
Wow...... I guess you are right! thank god the live market is Key! After reading it 10 times it makes sense now!

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
so, its closed lobster season ? , you can't own a lobster you bought somewhere else R.I ????? it BS they want to shut you down and will try any hair brained idea some corn farmer sitting at a DEP desk can come up with , and will get away with it if you let them

Top Bottom