Td's to lat/long

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
Has anyone found a website or a calculator that I can plug in tds and convert them over to lat/long?

I can do it on one of the machines on the boat, but its winter and I'm not going to go hook up the GPS and sit in the wheel house to play around (although on second thought, that would get me away from the kids)...

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
im interested in that to.. last time i had to pull the plotter off the boat and hook it up to my truck (12v).. and sat in there and did it..

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
If anyone wants to give me their GREAT FISHING numbers I will be more than glad to sit in my wheelhouse and convert them for you... LOL J/K...

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Like Badlatitude said, Carl Andren is the man for that. His software is reasonable and you can call him w/ questions if the need arises.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Like Badlatitude said, Carl Andren is the man for that. His software is reasonable and you can call him w/ questions if the need arises.

I think the danger of using the software now may be that you have no Loran access to cross reference and make the adjustments in the program.

Whatta Catch

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.whattacatch.com
Boat Make
40' H and H, 31 JC and 25' Carolina Skiff
Any program that just converts the TD's will not be accurate. The only way to have accurate conversions is to have confirmed drops in an area and do the off sets your self. No program not even wind plot will do it for you trust me. Most GPS units have a TD feature and will allow the user to put the offsets in. But you will need confirmed drops for the area you have the TD's for.

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
Thanks wattacatch - we did all the convertions on our cod drops while the stations were still up and could directly convert them.

I'm thinking more about old #s and lines that we used to work out east trolling tuna. I'm looking at our old paper charts and trying to put all the #s written in the margins into my I-pad (navionics app).

Some of the margin notes are pretty funny.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Thanks wattacatch - we did all the convertions on our cod drops while the stations were still up and could directly convert them.

I'm thinking more about old #s and lines that we used to work out east trolling tuna. I'm looking at our old paper charts and trying to put all the #s written in the margins into my I-pad (navionics app).

Somewhere I had a chart that had TDs and Lat lon on it. Maybe you can find one and cross reference there?

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Any program that just converts the TD's will not be accurate. The only way to have accurate conversions is to have confirmed drops in an area and do the off sets your self. No program not even wind plot will do it for you trust me. Most GPS units have a TD feature and will allow the user to put the offsets in. But you will need confirmed drops for the area you have the TD's for.
So i guess we just through the old books of numbers out then?

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
Thanks - I took out the yard stick and used the lat long in the margins - good for a ballpark idea.
I was just hoping for something quicker, and something I can also use when I get td #s over the phone, and want to punch them into the iPad.

I wish the Navionics charts would have the loran overlay on them like the noaa charts do.

That software looks interesting.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Call me old school but the olny thing I use lat Lon for is any thing to do with the Coastguard. Its a shame they stoped making the northstar 941-951. It was is great for tds

Whatta Catch

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.whattacatch.com
Boat Make

TD's don't run true North to South and East to West like GPS coordinates do.
When I said accurate, I meant for bottom fishing when you need to be exact. For trolling for tuna lets say for example the 100 Square. If you convert those numbers you will be off by sometimes up to a mile. But most of the time you just need to be in the ballpark for trolling.

Last edited:

31jcptown

Commander
Boat Make
91 31 JC P-Town
941 951 952

Dude go on ebay buy yourself a older northstar your done You dont even need the antena hooked up just give it power and it will convert #s for you I have 3 of those machines 2 on the boat and 1 as a backup. I have fishes some micro pieces fro old TDs that the 951 converted and man it was almost dead on

Estimator

Commander
Boat Make
43 Torres
Panthom Loran

I hooked up my 951 in my basement with a converter from radio shack and converted all my loran #'s in fanthom loran to gps and created an excel spreadsheet with both sets of #'s. Each trip I do some searching and update my book when I get on the spot. It is a lot of work but worth it. Some of the conversions are closer than others but at least I have a starting point.

I have not tried the software mentioned earlier because but would like to.

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
There we have it. Thanks!

951 sitting in Dad's basement collecting dust. I'm on it.

Whatta Catch

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.whattacatch.com
Boat Make
Dude go on ebay buy yourself a older northstar your done You dont even need the antena hooked up just give it power and it will convert #s for you I have 3 of those machines 2 on the boat and 1 as a backup. I have fishes some micro pieces fro old TDs that the 951 converted and man it was almost dead on

I have tried this on the 951 along with Windplot with the AIS corrections and they are not accurate enough to go out and just drop the hooks on the drop. You still need to search for the bottom. I tried almost every program out there and nothing comes close to doing the offsets yourself. Windplot was the closest.

I even tested the accuracy by converting TD's that were already confirmed. Some were 100' feet away and some were 3 miles away. Trust me, I am a Wreck Junkie. TD's to me are like Crack to a crack head lol.

Last edited:

31jcptown

Commander
Boat Make
91 31 JC P-Town
OK well maybe you smoked too much crack IT worked and works just fine as I probly have converted at least 100 #s and have NEVER not found what im looking for and all I have ever used is a 800x and my 952 . If your #s put you 3miles away your doing something wrong. TRY IT IT WORKS........Good luck any question send me PM ill help you out............

Whatta Catch

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.whattacatch.com
Boat Make
OK well maybe you smoked too much crack IT worked and works just fine as I probly have converted at least 100 #s and have NEVER not found what im looking for and all I have ever used is a 800x and my 952 . If your #s put you 3miles away your doing something wrong. TRY IT IT WORKS........Good luck any question send me PM ill help you out............

Thanks for the offer but I don't need any help converting TD's. And i don't smoke Crack.

Trust me this isn't my first Rodeo.

Putting TD's into a 951 on the Phantom Loran setting is not dead on. It might sometimes put you close but that's it. If you are telling me that when you put a set of TD's in your 951 and they are 100% accurate then you should have sponsorship from every top electronics manufacturer out there.

Without offsets it can not be accurate!!!

Greg Yankee Captains who is one of the best at converting numbers and has worked with one of the top commercial programs helping them do offsets still needs offsets, so I doubt You can just plug numbers into your Northstar and be right on. No way.....

Top Bottom