The 30 Calvin Beal.

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by Diesel Jerry, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    B7ED182E-E2D6-4302-88A2-952E1F4B25DC.jpeg 3358977D-80D5-4EAD-82C3-7BCA34CF54A3.jpeg 4C7CC349-CF58-4C6A-894E-9530E75DE74A.jpeg CA7BE61B-20E3-4ED9-98EB-3F4B62E3799C.jpeg 5312DD55-D816-4041-B373-4C689F417967.jpeg So I have had my eye on this hull for a long time. Maybe because it is close to the 30 South Shore that Calvin Beal designed, or I prefer a beamier boat, either way I finally got my chance to step foot in one.
    If you follow my posts you will know that I recently visited Mainely Boats. Among the other projects they have going on is a 30 Calvin Beal. It was no disappointment. There is a lot of cubic foot of boat there. The possibility’s are endless. Lobstering, Tuna chasing, and family cruising this hill can do it all.
    In one of the pictures I am looking down into a hatch. With my finger tips on the hull the deck was darn close to my are are pit, approximately 2 feet, and if you look at the picture of my knees against the wash rail you get an idea how deep this hull is.
    The Cummins 6.7 looks small in this boat, leaving to wonder just how much engine could you put in this thing if you wanted to race it. Something in orange....
    As I said in my blog on my website I hope I get invited back for the seatrails. Really anxious to see this thing go.

Wesmac42b80, restless, david and 10 others like this.
  2. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    I'm remote v-drive dreaming Jerry !

Question? Is the engine box collar removable to that you can service/get at the outside components of the 6.7 ?

3. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Thanks for the likes guys.

My thoughts for this hull if I where to finish it would be for family cruising and weekending. Starting with the nuts and bolts to keep it low...ish budget I would go with John Deere’s 4045 @ 315HP. I would spec the drive train for 600+ horsepower, it adds cost, but to repower later will be easier and cheaper.

Water system with a propane on demand water heater. Simple head, with sink. I think I would put the head where the V-berth is in the picture. I would put a big double birth for me and the Mrs. up against the bulkhead putting some of the mechanical beneath it. Make it so I just lift the mattress and a few drop boards to gain access to those.

I would make the engine box high enough to use as a seat, and able to fold towards the helm to make anothe berth for the kiddos. Starboard side would be open, with a side that would fold down. The back of the cabin would have a fixed piece in the middle with a slider for port and Starboard. No galley, but have a removable grill and a water fixture out on deck.

I know I would be still looking at a 200K or more build and a lot of ifs and maybes on component placement. It’s a great hull and would be a great project.

Sisuperkins and south shore like this.
  4. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

No, I don’t think it does, but they had hatches on each side of it for access.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  5. AW_Holland32

AW_Holland32 Senior Member

That layout sounds great I’m surprised not more common. Anyone have a pic of something like that? Big full or queen berth against the bulkhead.

6. CapeCodNorton

CapeCodNorton Senior Member

Firefighter/Paramedic Hyannis Fire Department
    Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    Saw on Southshore Boatworks Instagram he has one in the shop they will be finishing as a walk around charter boat.

7. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

I am glad that it’s getting some traction in the market. I really hope I can get a ride in one soon.

8. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    I'd entertain the new Calvin 30 for a new build

ErikT, south shore and Cookie like this.
  9. cb34

cb34 Captain

What would your guess be on the head height down forward? 6.7 hp?

cb34,
  10. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

I don’t dare speculate on the height. You can drop that sole down to give you a bit more head room. The 6.7 hp was 550. Mainely Boats has more pics and info on their FaceBook page.

Mike74 likes this.
  11. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    the new 30 Calvin Beal pics Jerry posted and the pictures on FB has me re-thinking my long range plans :eek:

For giggles.....Ponder this:
    remote vdrive would set the engine back 36"-48" from inline drive config.

200-250 gallon center fuel tank in the belly to replace where the engine would sit in an inline config.

No change in the shaft angle unless need be.

And how the static weigh of the engine (not the transmission weight) moving aft 42" or so and moving the variable weight (fuel tank/water/holding tank) forward ?
    Would be close to an even swap of fixed and variable weights.

I wonder where the center of gravity is in the new 30 Calvin Beal and if the weight swap would upset the bow up/bow down versus a standard inline drive config without messing with trim tabs?

Lastly, the engine weight would be a bit higher in the hull than an inline drive config...but the fuel tank weight would be lower in the belly of the hull.

Quiet with less vibration.

Thoughts ?

Why V-Drives, and then again, Why REMOTE? - Seaboard Marine

12. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Bill you know I usually a nay sayer of vdrives but a remote V-drive is a completely different animal. As long as you can stay away from burying the stuffing box/dripless. As you know that is an important item that you should be able to get two hands on. I took a Volvo out of a 30 Southport this fall and the biggest obstacle wat the relationship between the shaft and V-drive transmission. If it had been remote that would have been 6 to 8 hours easier.

As far as center of gravity with a 12+ beam I don’t think it is that much of an issue as with a Holland or something with a narrower beam.

Noise level...That could be a debate. I get your theory of getting the noise behind you. But now the “noise maker” is well above deck. So you have to really sound inslate the engine box, and speaking of the engine box you will be having a 3x6 box 3 foot tall out on deck. To some that’s a big no no, but you can also utilize that as a seat.

As far as the relationship between the constant weight of the engine versus the changing weight of the fuel/water/poo that is a hard call and a lot of math. How much fuel are you thinking? Water?

All in all Bill with all my criticism aside it sounds like a great idea. The 30 CB is still tied with the 32 Holland in 2nd place for my all time favorite and tied for first in that class. All I need is a boat ride to tip the scale. I do have reasonable suspicion that hp to ho the Holland would be a knot faster. If you want to know why I say that call, email or text me. But on the other side of that the 30 CB has the draft and beam to handle a bigger engine.

BillD likes this.
  13. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    Some rainy day I'll take a ride up to Mainely Boats and check out the build.
    I'd be able to get a solid measurement on where the
    36"X 50" engine box seat/work platform would "sit" in the cockpit of this 30 footer.
    :)

Center helm three window setup. Big 40" plus bench helm seat.
    Engine and drive train access for maintenance a breeze :D

strikecharters likes this.
  14. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    26 Duffy, 14 Holland
    Swing by Boozebay on your way north, I'll buy you a Moxie :)

BillD likes this.
  15. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

As I am sure you are aware Bill I was just spit balling those dimensions. Based off a Vdrive 32 Holland we have in the yard. I am sure you could go smaller.

16. NausetBruno

NausetBruno Member

Just saw this boat at Mainely too. Very big 30. Much more boat then the 30 south shore

17. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    Gotta take a ride now. Jerry got me all worked up !

Diesel Jerry likes this.
  18. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

I really hope Mike calls me up and asks me to go on a seatrail, but also realize having 245 pounds of dead weight isn’t ideal.
    Maybe Stuart Workman will see this thread and get me a ride on one.

19. South Bound

South Bound Member

If I remember right the 30' CB is a MC 32' minus 2' and calvin lowered the sheer up in the bow a few inches. Same with the 34' CB and the 35' MC

20. cb34

cb34 Captain

I think either your info or memory is off:)

cb34,