Things to show my accountant...

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
When I was a kid my dad had an accountant for a few years that would visit him after work. One time I was at his office after work and always kept listening to him. My Dad was always successful later on in life so I listened. Well every year when boat expenses came up this guy would lay into my dad. It was so funny because he saying you have to get rid of the boat, worse expense ever, etc. So finally my dad fired the guy because of this issue.

My Dad said, Yes this guy is smart, but he doesnt understand what spending time together as a family means and what fishing means to us. Looking back our family has always been connected on the water, from tournaments and to the old just messing around on boats...

So finally I feel justified because look, top 5 worst things you can do with you money does not include a boat per Motley Fools!!! ITS CERTAIN! ;-)

The 5 Worst Things You Can Do With Your Money

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Of course they are fine... I think they come with a slip in Hyannis... LOL

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I have always had a boat and its a way of life. The cost is something you manage but there is no question that you have to have it. No better way to spend time as a family especially today where so many kids are just "vidiots" as my father would call them.

My 9 year old jumps overboard and swims ashore from about 200yards away whenever we are pulling into a beach anchorage. No fear of anything and just pure love for all things in and around the ocean and there is no price that could be put on that. He works a plug on his spinning rod better than most guys my age too. So the boat costs a few bucks. I think I will never forget working a big school of monster bluefish with him but I will forget what the boat cost me that year.

Oh and I dont think the IRS differentiates their tax brackets on prostitutes that way Morty:p

Hooper

Captain
I've explain to the Mrs many times that Boat Dollars are very different than normal Dollars. For example, 80K for an addition is a lot of money to me, but 80K for a boat could be a great deal!!!!;)

There is a worldwide exchange rate, I'm sure of that...

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
A few years I was with another engineer who also owned a recreational boat. His wife was asian but wasnt driving. One night we all went out, the wife went off on a tangent. She said for the 25 years they have been married, owning a boat for 15 years. She would have much rather seen her husband get a mistress and support her. Therefore he'd leave the house for hours a day, but when he can back he wouldn't be bitching about this doesnt work, need to varnish this etc... Thought it was a cute story...

Hooper

Captain
A few years I was with another engineer who also owned a recreational boat. His wife was asian but wasnt driving. One night we all went out, the wife went off on a tangent. She said for the 25 years they have been married, owning a boat for 15 years. She would have much rather seen her husband get a mistress and support her. Therefore he'd leave the house for hours a day, but when he can back he wouldn't be bitching about this doesnt work, need to varnish this etc... Thought it was a cute story...

Reminds me of this one.... how true!:D

His and Her Diaries

Wife's Diary:

Tonight, I thought my husband was acting weird. We had made plans to meet at a nice restaurant for dinner. I was shopping with my friends all day long, so I thought he was upset at the fact that I was a bit late, but he made no comment on it. Conversation wasn't flowing, so I suggested that we go somewhere quiet so we could talk. He agreed, but he didn't say much. I asked him what was wrong; He said, 'Nothing.' I asked him if it was my fault that he was upset. He said he wasn't upset, that it had nothing to do with me, and not to worry about it. On the way home, I told him that I loved him. He smiled slightly, and kept driving. I can't explain his behavior. I don't know why he didn't say, 'I love you,too.'

When we got home, I felt as if I had lost him completely, as if he wanted nothing to do with me anymore. He just sat there quietly, and watched TV. He continued to seem distant and absent. Finally, with silence all around us, I decided to go to bed. About 15 minutes later, he came to bed. But I still felt that he was distracted, and his thoughts were somewhere else. He fell asleep - I cried. I don't know what to do. I'm almost sure that his thoughts are with someone else. My life is a disaster!

Husband's Diary:

Boat wouldn't start, don't know why.

Top Bottom