Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
998490_474628275967973_1496575723_n.jpg

KPM

Ensign
We had a friend come out to Maine for the first time ever and dropped that bomb. It never even occurred to me that people might not understand.

shoker

Lieutenant
Sad thing is I didn't here this on the dock heard it from a guy that has been fishing with me on and off for a few years and a Maritime grad to boot. Been fishing in NH and pulled into to harbor and told him to make boat fast tight to the dock, when I came back boat was floating about 3' off dock, I asked him why, he told me that there was a big tide here in the harbor and he wanted to make sure that the boat didn't go under when the tide came in. I guess he had not been paying attention to the dock rising and falling with the tide on I piles, for the last week. I don't know if he thought the floating dock went under on the high tide and another dock magically appeared or what. But it might be time for a new mate.

KPM

Ensign
Ah, the ol' high tide magic dock. I had heard of it but never seen it.

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
slight tangent but the magical non-floating dock made me think of it...

Whenever there is a new kid working in the local marine supply store, my old man can't help himself but to ask: "Hey, are the Bilge Stretchers back in stock yet? Go in the back room and check would ya, and tell Mel I'm not interested in any of those Canadian Bilge Stretchers neither!"

...it used to bother me back when it was a kid my own age, now I just have to walk away :D

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Life raft didnt go of???

Doesn't the release not go off till the boat is like 15' down ?? Thats what i've been told about epirbs. When i was fishing on the Copper River we had boats flipped in the breakers and their epirbs never went off.

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Hydrostatic release activates at 15 feet, but hard case raft in a cradle doesn't automatically mean there's a hydrostatic release installed...

Brakeforhake

Lieutenant Commander
Its amazing how little people think about their safety equipment, smart people too. My oldman has a center console and insisted that the epirb be mounted on top of his hard t top. His answer was that there is a release when it hit 15ft of water. I asked him what happens If he get into trouble and the boat doesn't sink? Gonna go climbing onto the hardtop to get your epirb? You gonna swim under the boat to get it? Its amazing how dumb people can be when it comes to boating.

Top Bottom