This is how they are gonna shut us down

greg

Captain
Are you pointing out the response to the request for listing white marlin under esa status? It looks like a pretty solid NO to me.

Did I miss something or are you just pointing out that this is a tactic the anti's are using?

Tunascapes

Commander
Most definitely a tactic they would try and use. I was concerned on the bft listing a few years back if they would then try to close all of stellwgon and other bft grounds to all fishing.

Hope nothing comes of it for all you canyon guys.

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Are you pointing out the response to the request for listing white marlin under esa status? It looks like a pretty solid NO to me.

Did I miss something or are you just pointing out that this is a tactic the anti's are using?

Sorry I wasn't clearer. You are right on both counts. I was fired up when I read the email I just got. They lost this on this one as we all know there are plenty of whites. Next time they will find some obscure jellyfish and close the whole area down. My guess is these enviro-wackos are after longlineing.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Received last February. Unreal. Not even two years after some of the most epic White Marlin fishing since the 80's. How do these people come up with this shit?

monktails

Lieutenant
We will continue to fight these ridiculous non scientific backed listings for the coming years. How would biologist even begin to find an accurate stock assessment on these species is beyond me.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
We will continue to fight these ridiculous non scientific backed listings for the coming years. How would biologist even begin to find an accurate stock assessment on these species is beyond me.

They hammered us in FL with red snapper then grouper. Their "scientific research" was surveying fishermen at boat ramps. Too bad they were not just asking 23+ ft boats that could actually run offshore far enough to catch grouper that time of yeat. They questioned every boat. Including flats boats and small skiffs. Which dominate the ramp usage on the west coast. Thats their type of science.

Comming in with my flats boat. I was asked if I was fishing. I said yes. Then asked how many grouper I caught. I asked the woman if she was retarded and she got offended and went on a rant about how important it was. I said LADY this boat is a flat boat. Its ment to fish shallow water and creeks Not 20+ miles offshore for grouper. So I got maked as a fisherman who caught 0 grouper. Not a fisherman who wasnt fishing for grouper.

One would assume that you could use logic and reason with them but infact they have tunnel vision so bad when it comes to theese things its not even funny.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
I pointed out the "like looking species" type clause in the ESA listing when they tried it with Bluefin. Believe me it is a real concern and a tactic I would surely use if I was a useless, brain washed, treehugging dim wit. If Whiteys are your passion make sure to do your homework and bring many people into your battle, it can and will make a difference. FWIW

monktails

Lieutenant
Personally I am currently dealing with ESA listings of sturgeon, harbor porpoise, logger head turtles, skate and I would assume codfish ion the next 3 years. I still go to work and fight threw area closures, net limits and das. Its another tactic for environmental groups to shut down the ocean. Soon you will see 250 commercial fishing boats doing sight seeing tours. All I can recommend to anyone is get involved go to meetings and speak during the comment period. Though many think there comments don't matter it really does. Input from fishermen is heard by decision makers on the various panels. If anything we are able to stall these processes to find remedies to THEIR science

greg

Captain
They hammered us in FL with red snapper then grouper. Their "scientific research" was surveying fishermen at boat ramps. Too bad they were not just asking 23+ ft boats that could actually run offshore far enough to catch grouper that time of yeat. They questioned every boat. Including flats boats and small skiffs. Which dominate the ramp usage on the west coast. Thats their type of science.

Comming in with my flats boat. I was asked if I was fishing. I said yes. Then asked how many grouper I caught. I asked the woman if she was retarded and she got offended and went on a rant about how important it was. I said LADY this boat is a flat boat. Its ment to fish shallow water and creeks Not 20+ miles offshore for grouper. So I got maked as a fisherman who caught 0 grouper. Not a fisherman who wasnt fishing for grouper.

One would assume that you could use logic and reason with them but infact they have tunnel vision so bad when it comes to theese things its not even funny.

Odd. When I get a dock survey it's always the nmfs hms survey, never a RI state or anything in the ne sector.

They always ask what I was fishing for and what I caught, then a bunch of loopy questions about selling my recreational catch.

So it isn't universal that they ask what you tried to catch? They must have a blast interviewing people on the sight seeing boats.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
For commercial we had to do catch reports yeah. The yahoos at the ramps were just asking simple questions weather they were NMFS or not I dont recall. I would venture to guess they were volunteers from some college.

reelsportfishing

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.ReeltoReelSportfishing.com
Boat Make
1999 40' Young Brothers
Atlantic Highly Migratory Species News
Today NOAA Fisheries published in the Federal Register the response to two petitions requesting we list the white marlin as threatened or endangered under the Endangered Species Act (ESA). Attached please find thenegative 90-day finding indicating the petitions did not present substantial scientific or commercial information indicating white marlin warrant listing under the ESA.

The two petitions requesting NOAA Fisheries list the white marlin can be found at: http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/ListingPetitions.htm

For more information, please contact Dr. Stephania Bolden, NMFS Southeast Region, 727-824-5312, or Margaret Miller, NMFS Office of Protected Resources, 301-427-8403.

You are subscribed to atlantichmsnews as [email protected].
To unsubscribe, send a blank email to:
[email protected]sc.noaa.gov

Top Bottom