This isn't Downeast, but you have to Watch this

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
There is a new salmon fishing TV show premiering tonight on national geographic, it's called "Alaska Fish Wars" the link to the show is here. This is the exact fishery that I participate in, I was interviewed to be a part of the show, but they decided to have 2 older guys and a young rookie captain in the show. I'm hoping the 3 pilot episodes do well, so please watch it if you can and tell all your fishing buddies about it. Thanks.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Set my DVR but its not on regular National Geographic here. Its on the Nat Geo Wild channel here in lower CT atleast.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Powder.. Your fishery is NUTS. That guy on the Nights watch gives me an anexity attack just watching how he deals with things. If I was stuck on his boat id rather jump off and swim.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
There is a new salmon fishing TV show premiering tonight on national geographic, it's called "Alaska Fish Wars" the link to the show is here. This is the exact fishery that I participate in, I was interviewed to be a part of the show, but they decided to have 2 older guys and a young rookie captain in the show. I'm hoping the 3 pilot episodes do well, so please watch it if you can and tell all your fishing buddies about it. Thanks.

Just watched the short vids, the reason they didn't pick you Brian is your "normal", no screamin', no fish picks in your mouth, no sleeping in the river when you should be out fishing ??? Next time you should wear a eye patch, prirate hat and have a hook instead of a hand :D. That guy with the Nights Edge must of just bought that boat, it was built by a friend of mine "weird larry" he fished the inlet for many years then showed up in cordova with another bowpicker fished a few years pissed off lots of guys and sadly he died a couple of years ago.
I guess a show with the real way guys fish would be to boring for the "reality TV" crowd so they picked the dumb shits to show and the world thinks its real and all in a days work.
How's the boat coming ? should be looking like a real boat by now.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Just watched the short vids, the reason they didn't pick you Brian is your "normal", no screamin', no fish picks in your mouth, no sleeping in the river when you should be out fishing ??? Next time you should wear a eye patch, prirate hat and have a hook instead of a hand :D. That guy with the Nights Edge must of just bought that boat, it was built by a friend of mine "weird larry" he fished the inlet for many years then showed up in cordova with another bowpicker fished a few years pissed off lots of guys and sadly he died a couple of years ago.
I guess a show with the real way guys fish would be to boring for the "reality TV" crowd so they picked the dumb shits to show and the world thinks its real and all in a days work.
How's the boat coming ? should be looking like a real boat by now.

I may be a little boring;), but I have a sweet boat and we caught a lot of fish. I told the producer I build my own boats and they are some of the very nicest in the fleet, but they decided to only include 3 boats, so that cut some guys out. I'm glad the Alaska salmon fishery is getting some exposure, I'm hoping it continues for another season, I know some really great boats that the camera crews should be on. And I have NEVER seen guys put fish picks in their mouths, that is really strange:rolleyes:.

The Wesmac is coming along, can't wait to sea trial it and fish it this season, it's forecasted to be a good run.

I'm actually putting the Wesmac up for sale after the season and I've already got another new build in the works.

Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I may be a little boring;), but I have a sweet boat and we caught a lot of fish. I told the producer I build my own boats and they are some of the very nicest in the fleet, but they decided to only include 3 boats, so that cut some guys out. I'm glad the Alaska salmon fishery is getting some exposure, I'm hoping it continues for another season, I know some really great boats that the camera crews should be on. And I have NEVER seen guys put fish picks in their mouths, that is really strange:rolleyes:.

The Wesmac is coming along, can't wait to sea trial it and fish it this season, it's forecasted to be a good run.

I'm actually putting the Wesmac up for sale after the season and I've already got another new build in the works.

Its the boring quiet guys that catch all the fish !!
I knew it !! and i told ya so !!! i should of bet ya a pizza at that highline pizza/home brew joint in Soldotna that you'd sell that boat. Now pm me and fill me in on the new one :D.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB

I'm actually putting the Wesmac up for sale after the season and I've already got another new build in the works.[/QUOTE]
.......................................................................................................................................................You go Brain....Build em Fish em Sell em.....good for you

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife

.......................................................................................................................................................You go Brain....Build em Fish em Sell em.....good for you[/QUOTE]
I have money on a 42-46 Mr. With big ivco

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I wish I was building a 42 Wesmac, I think if I had a 42 Wesmac I would sell my house and just live on the boat :-D. If I could justify a 42 with a 750hp Iveco or Volvo, I would do it in a heartbeat. But a 38' with a 500hp is really an ideal size and a lot less money than the 42'-46', plus I can transport the 38' myself, which saves a ton of money.

So, because I like some variety in my boats, I put a deposit down on a new 38' Lowell Brothers hull and a 500hp John Deere 9 liter engine (same engine/trans as in the Wesmac). It will be interesting to see how the 2 different hulls perform with the same power, gear reduction, and prop diameter.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Will it have a similar walk around house?

The Lowell Brothers will be walkaround style alongside the main cabin, but it will be a conventional style deck around the trunkhouse. The full walkaround cabin limits your space up in the forward cabin, and since I want maximum space for bunks, I'm going to do a hybrid of sorts.

I really like the walkaround style because of how safe and convenient it is to get to the bow. On the Lowell, the aluminum railing will still go all the way forward to the bow like the Wesmac.

Top Bottom