Thoughts and Opinions on SeaCraft 23 Inboard

Hooper

Captain
Hi Guys,

Not a Downeaster, but there is so much knowledge on this site, I’m looking for thoughts and opinions, things I may not have considered.

I’m seriously looking at a 23’ SeaCraft straight inboard. It’s a 1977 hull that was rehabbed in 2015’ish. It’s in fantastic condition overall, Hull is mint, no cracking in the gelcoat, etc. A new Crusader 5.7l 330hp was installed.

In looking at the engine in the console, would I be facing a maintenance nightmare specifically considering access? I know Crusaders have an excellent reputation for reliability and longevity but like any engine, they need maintenance. The console does not tilt forward meaning access will be challenging.

For you who work on engines for a living, are there anything in these photos that causes you concerns?

314CB613-5656-4E2F-A1B4-9B135DB79FB9.jpeg

AD2A6398-FF5B-42A4-8072-695C9FDFD235.jpeg

FDDF6564-5F08-4E20-AB2F-CA7567A99686.jpeg

EB7883D2-82C3-4B30-AA00-6ECDB3E0D2D8.jpeg

CE8C0569-E3B1-424E-97EA-16A41258C80C.jpeg

Last edited:

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Hooper

Captain
Gordon, I like that boat and the engine even better. Bu,t reach down there to change the plugs, Altinator, Starter, Raw water pump even the manifolds. I have had to undo the shaft, Exhaust tubes Engine mounts etc just to change Manifolds on one similar to that. That's a lot of realigning just for simple maintaince. Not to put it down just saying what will happen. Either way if it were mine i would first hinge the forward console. Then work out the rest from there. It would be a lot of rewiring for sure but without at least that boy i don't know if i could live with that. Sorry to sound like a bummer. JMHO.

No please don’t apologize! That’s exactly the type of critical perspective I was looking for, you guys have forgotten more than I will ever know and see things I won’t see. I knew it looked tight in there, and figured that would be an issue with maintenance and even more so with bigger projects.

Hooper

Captain
doesn't look like the exhaust manifolds or heads are coming off without removing the console, those are jobs you would normally do in the boat without major surgery.
Thank you Frank, I wondered about that. Something I wouldn’t be doing myself but would have to pay for and that would make it a lot more costly.

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
I have that same engine and just recently discovered the plugs are below the exhaust manifold. I don’t see how you could possibly change them in that situation

Hooper

Captain
I have that same engine and just recently discovered the plugs are below the exhaust manifold. I don’t see how you could possibly change them in that situation
Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I’m not sure this is going to work for me.

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I’m not sure this is going to work for me.
I recognize those pics and know the listing. That is a badass boat. Maybe there’s a way to gain better access

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

fat2nawilly

Commander
I had one for ten years, great boat. I put a doghouse on mine and made it hinge forward to access engine. I had a marine power EFI 350 in it with easy access to everything but my manifolds and risers looked a lot smaller than the crusader's. With some basic modification you could probably access everything you need to pretty easy.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Hooper

Captain
I found them.

#1 Looking aft with everything open. Hatch opens forward, both side hatches open outboard. You can see the framing of the Port hatch. (Yeah its a sterndrive. ):eek:

#2 looking forward Stbd. hatch in pic.

#3 looking aft with both hatches closed. You can see the coaming on the inside edge. The engine box comes down over those . 5" round hatch is to service my strainer)

#4 Looking aft to Port. You can see the outline of the hatch and on the outboard side is where the stainless continuous hinge is. After you pick up the engine hatch those outboard hatches swing up and the coamings are just below my washboards.

All together it makes easy access to everything.
View attachment 103293 View attachment 103294 View attachment 103295 View attachment 103296

I getcha, that makes a lot of sense how you did that. Provides easy access to everything in a snap. I’m going to look at it this weekend and I’ll will keep these things in mind, ability to hinge the console and accessibility outboard of it. Thank you guys for giving me your thoughts on this one!

Hooper

Captain
Typically, how often are maintenance issues such as new manifolds and risers addressed? Is that an every other year job? Every 3 years? Five?

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Typically, how often are maintenance issues such as new manifolds and risers addressed? Is that an every other year job? Every 3 years? Five?
This is my first time owning an inboard gasser but I’ve read that risers need to be replaced as often as every year if it’s saltwater use and infrequent flushing (me). I’ve got a lot to learn about my engine this spring.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
This is my first time owning an inboard gasser but I’ve read that risers need to be replaced as often as every year if it’s saltwater use and infrequent flushing (me). I’ve got a lot to learn about my engine this spring.
I didn't even notice that the engine isn't FWC....yeah that changes some of the servicing calculus for sure.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Hooper

Captain
That is great information guys. I really appreciate it. I think I’m beginning to understand why my mechanic has told me, just stick with outboards Since he doesn’t touch IB’s I think I’d be hunting for a new mechanic too. Not so sure that’s very appealing to me. Having a great relationship with a great mechanic is extremely valuable and I’d hate to lose my guy.

Top Bottom