thoughts on furuno, Garmin, or simrad

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by capt.dan, Feb 13, 2019.

1. capt.dan

capt.dan Senior Member

pilot
    Boat Make:
    Topaz
    Hello, my boat has a furuno FCV 1100 fishfinder, which needs a new transducer. The gps is an old Garmin 4212. Which sometimes freezes up on me, I’m thinking of going a couple different ways. Just replacing the old furuno with a fv588, or getting the Garmin 7612sxv with chirp or simrad nss12 evo3. With chirp. Has anyone used both the Garmin and simrad? Heading down to west marine to look at both.

2. reelup

reelup Member

west marine dose not sell furuno

3. capt.dan

capt.dan Senior Member

pilot
    Boat Make:
    Topaz
    Going there to look at the Garmin and simrad.

4. CompassRose

CompassRose Member

As long as you are comparing apple to apples it really comes down to personal preference. All of the brands make entry level garbage and all of them make pro level gear that is very complex and very capable.

These new systems are all basically small computer networks that are exposed to water, high heat, salt and 6' foot drop test on a daily basis.....so no matter what you choose the warranty and dealer support is key.... As over the lifetime of the hardware you are going to have failures and it all comes down to dealer support at that point...who is going to pick up the phone when something isn't working and you have bait, ice and crew all lined up to go for a big-eye beatdown?

Once you are comparing apples to apples, pick the one you like the best....they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm going with an all Simrad package on my new boat but Furuno and Garmin make great products as well.

5. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    I put a 588 on the Crowley with a B260 transducer. I am still learning but have been very happy so far.
    I opted to go Furuno because Garmin stuff always seems to be quickly becoming the last generation and I have never had Simrad gear.
    The Furuno seems to me to be less intuitive but that may be because I am coming from Garmin.
    Furuno is a good option for me if i need service and that should factor in for you as well.
    Good luck.

Tunatown likes this.
  6. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    put your breaks on right now and call our own electronics guru/nerd Wharf Rat.

7. Tunatown

Tunatown Captain

Lineman
    Boat Make:
    36 H&H CAT 3126B 420hp
    Wharf rat is awesome to deal with he knows his shit just replaced all my electronics on my boat went with furuno if you have and questions about anything he is a phone call away great service and support

Downrigga, winterking and Plastered like this.
  8. dogfather

dogfather New Member

The FCV1100 is a great machine: a good transducer makes it a fantastic machine. Unless you think you need "chirp" to find fish (and at 2kw why would you need it?),l I would buy the best transducer I could afford.

Tuna Hotline and restless like this.
  9. capt.dan

capt.dan Senior Member

pilot
    Boat Make:
    Topaz
    With my last boat I had a separate chart plotter and a furuno585, I always thought the way to go was to have both units be separate, and I’m thinking after going to the Boston boat show And looking at Garmins 8612 XSV which is very nice and has chirp capability. And simrad and furunos new chart plotter and finder with chirp. I’m back thinking that I might just keep these both separate like I did in the past. Not pulling the trigger until next month or April. Still a lot to look into.

10. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    I had two boats with Furuno, this one has Garmin. The Furuno were good, solid, I didn’t have touch screen, and never really got totally familiar with the charting etc. Garmin are 7212 and 7215 series, color touchscreen. I like them a lot more, obviously touchscreen, but just seem a lot easier to figure out. Always been impressed with Garmin customer service. When looking at used stuff I would call Garmin with serial number and they would tell me year, and service history etc, saved me a few times. Personally they all have good points but I think I will stay with Garmin going forward

11. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    One word..... buttons.

The new Garmins are all touch screen and are awful.

Have experiece with them on two boats, and one a downeast. Very hard to work the system while underway.

When we updated the tiara went with Simrad because of the option to use buttons or touch screen, very happy.

Call WharfRat, he'll set you up right.

12. restless

restless Captain

As mentioned the F
    As mentioned, the fcv1100 is a damn good machine. If it's in good condition I would replace the transducer and keep that sounder. I would just get a good stand alone plotter, and I would stay away from touch screen.

13. StowIt

StowIt Member

I have a Simrad combo gps/ff that has both touch and knob. I almost never use the touch screen underway since its too clumsy. I like the ease of use from the Simrad, similar to the old Northstar. A buddy has the Furuno NavNet suite; its good and bad. I don't find it that intuitive but it is loaded with features that you can customize. Maybe that's the problem. I find that I need to spend an hour or so at the beginning of every season to remember how to use all of the features. Like I said, its just not that intuitive.

14. StowIt

StowIt Member

p.s I am planning to go with a Simrad suite on the new boat unless someone convinces me otherwise. I thought someone else here had a good thought, especially if you're using an interconnected suite; he has a stand-a-lone gps just in case the suite goes down and you have to find your way home.

15. captjohn

captjohn Captain

Retired field engineer, Parker Aerospace
    Boat Make:
    Henriques
    I'm a huge Simrad fan, had the others, 2nd boat with Simrad, I'll never go back. Their Tech Support is great, these guys know the equipment, they will walk you through any problem you have right over the phone, and stay with you as long as it takes.

16. wonmore

wonmore Member

just make sure with simrad that you have an installer that is very familiar with these units,a lot can go wrong.Have the twin screens evo 2/12 and the 5100 bottom module with the b 265 airmar ducer ,works great now,had issues with the bsm 2 and bsm 3,units were ng,now everything is great.

17. captjohn

captjohn Captain

Retired field engineer, Parker Aerospace
    Boat Make:
    Henriques
    With multiple units you can choose which unit you get GPS data from, or shut the data bus down by just removing power to it. I went with a dedicated depth sounder, the S2009. If my other units go down I still know the depth. Between a compass, hard chart, knowing about where you were when it failed, and the depth sounder you should be able to navigate in from offshore. Before GPS, in the days of LORAN, I lost the LORAN about 80 miles offshore, no problem navigating back in. If your running offshore, you should be able to do this, it's really not that difficult.

18. StowIt

StowIt Member

head north until you hit something

19. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I had a furuno fav 1100L with older style Airmar 1k transducer (I think b260) sitting next to a new Garmin 7612xsv with a 600w chirp transducer. The 600w Garmin chirp read so much better compared to the Furuno that I sold off the furuno and replaced it with another other garmin screen 71616xsv and stepped up the transducer to the B275LhW. I have 3 garmin touch screens in my network and have no issues with all touch. These aren't like your iPhone that heat register your finger. A slight compression and they work fine. You can see some of the images that I read if you search through this forum. I run over 1k hours per year in all kinds of seas, I don't have an issue with all touch.

20. Shark49

Shark49 Member

I put Garmin Phantom radomes and 1042xsv ? on my boat. I bought it from Twin Hull boats and had them do the install. Love the Phantom and Love Twin Hull boats!