Thoughts on Isuzu diesels

yanmar

Captain
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
Hoping all works out i will be buying a Sisu 26 w/ a Isuzu 6 b series 270 hp with under 7000 hours . My experince @ work is with john deere and cummins and i had a yanmar in my old boat . So any input will be greatly appriciated . Thanks Dennis

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

unclefish

Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
we have a 6bd1 Isuzu in our little dragger boat. And I have to say the thing is awesome we lobstered the boat all last winter even those days when the sea water was freezing to windshield and boat she chugged along. Always started when it was cold has hell. It did come from norpro in e haddam ct. Sdhe has been commercial fished for the last 15 years.

Pedlyr

Captain
I was mate and engineer on a big dragger in the 90's. We had a 6BD for a hydraulic engine. We put an aftermarket (more like homemade) seawater aftercooler on it.

Cap loved to beat on that engine. Full throttle all the time when setting and hauling. I tried to go easier when up there. We even bent the boom on a big sack of dogfish on day.

Finally threw a rod through the side of the block. I can't remember the hours but the engine was 10 years old.

Had 2 4BD's for gens that ran forever. They would use a waterpump or alternator from time to time, but great engines.

I don't think Isuzu uses wet liners. Not sure. Maybe they do now. Rebuilds could be an issue.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Isuzu uses dry liners,had a 4 cylinder and it was a good engine,vibrated at idle but not an issue with a 6 cylinder.I know of a few that have alot of hours.Only thing I remember is that is was tough to bleed the air out of the coolant.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I wonder how a Duramax marinized would run in a lobster boat race.
Those things fly in GM trucks, not that I'm a fan of Government Motors.
An Isuzu is an Isuzu, decal package on it or not. Go keel cooled and dry pipes for instant marinization, probably have to do something to adjust for the other computer controlled things like vehicle speed in relation to rpms. Try it and let us know how it goes :)

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
Best seat to be had, I rarely get a chance to be on it though

It does make it comfy for others when its pouring during overnight trips, just fold it out into the bed. Instant suite with an awesome water view

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
Sounds to me as though its just a frequency thing, add some outriggers to your stringers sometime, that should help keep them from hitting that particular frequency and start wiggling. Same principle as putting some liquid in a line glass, wetting your finger and running it around the edge to make it sing, or those large opera singers that break the glasses.

Fa la la la la

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

RAMPAGE88

Commander
I have a 6BG1 260hp in the H&H & am very happy with it. Just show it the key & she fires right up, even in the coldest weather. It's hard mounted, no muffler & has a real nice bark when you put the coals to her. Very smooth,no issues at any rpm. She's really in her stride at 2350 rpms doing about 16KTS, pins out at 2800. It's a norpro unit. Also a friend has the same block, non turbo, 175hp I believe & lobsters with it in his 25 Jason, has put tons of hours on without issue. On top of that, another friend has one in his excavator with 14k hours on his & it has never been apart. Hope I didn't just put the whammy on it by speaking of thier longevety.......

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

mudhake

Captain
rampage, got your message. I wont be around this weekend. I do have a new hull in the shop. I also have a28 crowley beal tuna boat with a315 yanmar with only 500 hours on it for sale and a 29 h&h cruiser for sale. have not listed them yet. call me when you get a chance. I like what you have done to your boat so far . I have a friend who has 14000hrs on his isuzu with no problems. same one you have!

RAMPAGE88

Commander
Only parts I've needed "knock wood" is a raw water pump, but I've talked with the people at Norpro & they seemed to be very helpful. Did you provide them with your serial # when looking for parts? I live about 15-20 miutes from them, which makes it very convienent.

Top Bottom