Throttle creeping to idle

PBianculli

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26’ Fortier
Hey guys,
So my throttle has been creeping to idle since I’ve had the boat. It’s a Morse cable throttle with two stations. I put the Morse cable tensioner in a few spots, but I still can’t get it to stop creeping to idle. It’s either too tight where I cant move the throttle or doesn’t do anything. Has anyone else had this problem?

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Have you adjusted the friction point on the throttle lever? I’d have to look up the diagram, but I think it’s the screw on the levers axis. Mine always acts up early season.

PBianculli

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26’ Fortier
Have you adjusted the friction point on the throttle lever? I’d have to look up the diagram, but I think it’s the screw on the levers axis. Mine always acts up early season.
It’s frozen in place. Wound up I like the idea of a shim I’ll go with that thank you!

PBianculli

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26’ Fortier
Rusty Dexter also works if you don’t want to fix it. :rolleyes:
I try and keep my knives from rusting, but it’s inevitable. I really want to fix it, I just can’t get this screw turning on the throttle. The clamp that came from Morse doesn’t help at all, which is very annoying.

Tunacious

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Blackman
Morse maked a cable clamp. It has to be on correctly. It is the best way to get proper tension

Tunacious

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Blackman
I had one too, but it was installed wrong. Use the bolt to pinch the cable more and tighten the lock nut.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Hey guys,
So my throttle has been creeping to idle since I’ve had the boat. It’s a Morse cable throttle with two stations. I put the Morse cable tensioner in a few spots, but I still can’t get it to stop creeping to idle. It’s either too tight where I cant move the throttle or doesn’t do anything. Has anyone else had this problem?
Back in the day, I had the same problem, I put an empty ceramic coffee mug, upside down on mine, worked fine.

Top Bottom