Throttle guard.

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
Going to be making a guard for my bridge throttle. On rough days up on the bridge I have bumped into it a few times while trolling. It's on my right side and the throttle is on the right side of the control. Single lever ZF controller. Anyone have any pics and if they would change anything. Thought about adding pins to knock it down when docking. Might not be in the way but it's a concern of mine.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
I'll have to take a picture but might be tough I removed the Bimini top this winter to get new canvas so the shrink wrap is very low this year. . Could possible do flip up cover. depending on conditions could mess with the throttle a decent amount when trolling.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Squider42

Lieutenant Commander
Might not work for your application, but have seen them on transom throttles. TUNA.COM has one as well as many others. Can be seen on SW Boats website.

Tuna Hotline

Captain
We have the same ZF throttles. I don't have a picture readily available, but on one of them, we took off the large stainless throttle handle and replaced it with a tiny little piece of powdercoated aluminum. It is squared at the top and can't stick up more than 1/2 an inch. If you were to imagine it, just imagine an L shaped bracket and it has clearance to slide over the little red light on the throttle. It takes some getting used to, but it works the balls. No issue driving or docking.

Edit: HERE is a picture of the replacement handle. I thought the owner made it, but apparently it's a ZF part. We of course have a single version of this.

466-4__56803.1564246511.386.513.jpg

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
thanks Tuna, I have that on my cockpit control. IF I can order that and swap it out would be ideal. Just not sure how it would be docking.

Tuna Hotline

Captain
thanks Tuna, I have that on my cockpit control. IF I can order that and swap it out would be ideal. Just not sure how it would be docking.
You can definitely order it. If you want, I can have the boat owner try and find the part number.
We moved that throttle lever to the midship helm (docking and fighting tuna) and it works FINE. You operate it with your thumb and index finger instead of grabbing it. SO easy.

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
Thanks Tuna that's exactly what I have in my cockpit. Need to find the part number for that handle hopefully it can be swapped out and I don't have to buy a whole new control just for the lever.

Squider42

Lieutenant Commander
Just a thought, if that is your main throttle, do you want to be using that style handle all day long?

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
I have three stations. bridge, cabin and cockpit. idk how I would feel using it all day and standing when docking I only dock from the bridge so i am not sure it will be too low for me.

Tunacious

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Blackman
My idea is to install a plate between the steering wheel and the throttle arm. Or even make one that is removable for those times when you need good access, like when docking.

Top Bottom