Thru bolting - foam core and nida core - what epoxy?

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I'm moving outrigger bases up to the foam core hardtop and adding a fabricated tackle center to the nidacore cockpit.

I know to drill out the holes, clean out the core around them and fill with epoxy; then redrill when its set.

Any particular expoxy to use or is an marine grade fast setting epoxy fine?

Drakes

Lieutenant
You should ask the guy who surveyed your boat.....but I believe west system is a good choice...a nice two part

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
got a brand name or recommendation on poly based putty? My only experience to date is w/ Marine Tex.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Drakes

Lieutenant
Hull and deck are a resin based filler right?? ??? works well but I like the west system better its more forgiving I always thought, not a big deal to mix cobosil and thicken it up

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
For what you are talking about doing the west system mixed with the right fillers is a very good way to go. The west epoxy makes a very good secondary bond when done properly and is compatable with foam core when properly prepared. I have used it often for similar tasks in both foam and balsa core lay ups.

There are other similar two parts out there that will do as well, such as the smith products, and everyone seems to have a favorite based a lot on availability and familiarity with their particular brand.

cobia23

Commander
First Name
Paul
Give the guys at Mertons a call, there great to deal with and will be able to get you what you need.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
So w/ West Marine all of 1/4 mile from my boat the easy thing to do is to get a tube of West 2 part epoxy, add some West based filler; tape off the bottom of the cored out holes and fill away. I think I'm talking 12 1/4" holes so a tube is a lot better than a gallon!

Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
Top Bottom