Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
when the curtains are on it can get pretty warm in summer, but in winter they defrost in pretty short order so there are pros and cons all the way around.

I use wynn and highly recommend them

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
as far as the tint goes, mine are limo glass which is as dark as it gets. there are different levels of tint and even colors, the bronze really looked good on a 25 northern bay we helped a friend with.

juat as an aside

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I tinted my side windows and it helps with the heat in the summer. I don't find them a detriment at night. I feel the tint cuts down on the cross reflections of other lights on shore or from the fleet.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I would agree that the tint makes it harder to see in low light conditions but a definite advantage with regard to being cooler and easier to see in bright light conditions. We have a darker tint on the sides and a very light tint on the front windows to make it easier at night.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
Does make it a bit harder to see at night, absolutely with more lights that you're heading towards. But you can split that with an opening window, have the top be tinted and the bottom, stationary section be clear/less tinted.

I just open my window when it becomes necessary and I do quite a bit of night travel. Nothing like following the full moon with tinted windows, very surreal.

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
Anybody ever tried solar shades? They roll up and down as needed. Metromarine.com sells the ones that we have. They come with hold downs for the bottom. We have 22 windows in the wheelhouse of my tug, and I think it was around $2600 to do them all.
Angled corner windows, roll up from the bottom.
on a down east, they could possibly slap at high speed. They sure are handy.

005.jpg

006.jpg

Last edited:

WC1966

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
Is there a concern with USCG Regs?

For some reason I think I read something about window tint being a problem, was looking online 8-9 years ago. Odds are I misunderstood the material, would not be the first time, or the last time.:rolleyes:

Sparky

Lieutenant
Boat Make
42' Glasspec, 450 John Deere
I took advice from MDI and tinted just the side windows. It worked well and didn't affect vision when steaming at night

riskybusiness

Commander
Boat Make
35 five islands
has anyone on here ever tried wearing sunglasses? the work really good during the day and the bonus is you can just take them off at night....

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
has anyone on here ever tried wearing sunglasses? the work really good during the day and the bonus is you can just take them off at night....

I wear sunglasses all the time- clear windows on the DMR makes the wheelhouse like a friggin' greenhouse w/ no AC. But we ply the Gulf Stream here- hot water.

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Bomon windows installed in my 26' Sisu

Here's a shot of the 2" radius Bomon windows I installed 3 years ago in my 26' Sisu. I ordered them with a green tint which allows the most light transmission. Center (opening) window latches are poorly engineered. No leaks and nothing has broken. Basically very good windows

bomon.jpg

bomon.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Top Bottom