Tints???

Chiefleif

Lieutenant Commander
Anyone putting tints in their boat windows? Have tints on all my trucks/cars. Think they look great, plus Uv protection. But can’t see much at night...

tailhook

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 JC
Had it on my boat when I bought it, couldn't see shit at dusk or dawn spotting fish/birds offshore nope. Coming thru the mooring field in the AM was challenging..But no need for sunglasses, maybe a lite tint like the green might help.mine was dark

Bern

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Muscle Ridge 28
My boat was build with tinted D/Seaglaze windows. Great when it's sunny. I can't operate the boat at night; need one of my kids on board or open the vent window and look through the 2" gap over the bow. Sucks.

kcassells

Rear Admiral
Lite User

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I personally would never tint boat windows, but that’s my preference. I like to see out of my boat in all conditions. Running a boat is much different than driving a car/truck. I wear sunglasses if I need my eyes protected from the sun.

jweir

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User

Kailua Kid

Commander
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
Anyone putting tints in their boat windows? Have tints on all my trucks/cars. Think they look great, plus Uv protection. But can’t see much at night...
I have the related but opposite question: How best to remove tint that the PBO applied? I really, really do not like tinted windows on a boat. I have been able to get the tint partially off the wheelhouse windows with a plastic scraper but there must be a better way. Heat gun and scraper? Obviously, my vote is to not tint your windows — unless you are sure you and the next owner will never be out away from your mooring or slip in anything but bright, clear conditions!

tailhook

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 JC
I have the related but opposite question: How best to remove tint that the PBO applied? I really, really do not like tinted windows on a boat. I have been able to get the tint partially off the wheelhouse windows with a plastic scraper but there must be a better way. Heat gun and scraper? Obviously, my vote is to not tint your windows — unless you are sure you and the next owner will never be out away from your mooring or slip in anything but bright, clear conditions!
I used a razor totally flat and it took a while

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
For removal the heat gun will do the job.
I have my side windows tinted but I have a lot of glass on my rig. With out it I would roast in the summer.

Kailua Kid

Commander
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
I used a razor totally flat and it took a while
Thanks. The plastic scraper I have been using is one of those plastic razor blades in a little plastic holder. Very tedious, but I am afraid of scratching the glass, of course. Must be a better way.

Silverfish

Commander
First Name
Steve
Boat Make
28 Northern Bay
I put tinted windows on my boat when I had it redone, I love the look and in the middle of a sunny day it's great. But when it's dark out, I can't see anything. I'll drive with my head out the window if im running in the bay to rely on my radar to much. But I would put the tinted windows in agian if I was to replace the windows on this boat or another.

joe4852

Lieutenant Commander
I compromised when I put in new Wynne windows.
No tint on the front but green tint on sides and back.
Looks fine and I can see forward at night and I still run radar. You're rarely standing at the exact angle where you can see the difference. Someone would have to point it out to you.

Top Bottom