Tip Jar, DieselJerry’s 20’ Eastporter rebuild.

Codcruncher

Commander
There is a older 85hp Evinrude on NH craigslist in Piermont for 850.00...not sure, but it sounds like it could work...I can't seem to figure out how to download a craigslist list ad and post it on the site ..it might be worth calling on...the compression numbers all looked pretty good if it's legit

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
Jerry if you want to take a crack at the 25 Evinrude I got from Long Island I'll let you have it for the $250 I paid.
I havent touched it yet except for stashing it in a corner.
I am likeley not going to get to it this summer and am more and more thinking 4 stroke anyway.
LMK.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

jweir

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Haddock

Captain
First Name
Mike
Boat Make
23' Maritime Marine Voyageur
Lol on the marine drawing. I think PowderPro is the guy for that. I have no idea about the weight. I know I took 780lbs out of it. I can’t remember what I figured I have put back into it. On launch day our travel lift operator will be able to tell me. Right now the plan is to go tiller. I would like to put a Suzuki 115hp on it. Yes, many will comment “you don’t need that much” and “that is over powered”. To that I say blah. If I can afford a 115 when the time comes that’s what I will put on. If I can only afford a 60HP that’s what I will do.
Jerry,

I was happy to be one of the forum members to make a donation to your purchase of Tip Jar. I would be in for another $100 towards whatever power you decide on. I would consider it an honor to help out such a hard working, family first man such as yourself and hope that other members might consider the same. Please PM me your address and the check will be in the mail; not sure that I still have it. And keep the build pictures and progress coming!

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

tsharac

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Tim
Boat Make
1976 20' Eastporter; 1976 16' Stratford dory
Lol on the marine drawing. I think PowderPro is the guy for that. I have no idea about the weight. I know I took 780lbs out of it. I can’t remember what I figured I have put back into it. On launch day our travel lift operator will be able to tell me. Right now the plan is to go tiller. I would like to put a Suzuki 115hp on it. Yes, many will comment “you don’t need that much” and “that is over powered”. To that I say blah. If I can afford a 115 when the time comes that’s what I will put on. If I can only afford a 60HP that’s what I will do.
Jerry, I've been really enjoying your build so far. I've got the same hull, but with a cuddy and the pilothouse has been sawed off. Mine is rated for 100 HP, but came with an E-TEC 40, so hits a top speed around 18-20 knots. I wish I had a Suzuki 60, E-TEC 60, or a Yamaha 70 on mine. They all weigh about the same and with the Honda 9.9 kicker I have, would still allow the deck to be self-draining.

I know this is more "blah", but..
What's the HP capacity for your hull rated for and do you plan on insuring the hull when finished? BoatUS says insurance may void your policy if the hull is over the rated HP capacity:
Boat Capacities: BoatUS Foundation

115 sounds like a ton of fun, but I would worry about some chlorox boat crashing into me, then the repairs not being covered by insurance - if your hull is only rated for 100 HP.

Would a 90 meet your needs? I calculate 30 knots with a light load, assuming 2600# displacement and a C constant of 160. You have a lighter hull and so may have a higher C constant, thus faster speeds.

Speed in knots = 160 * square root of (HP/displacement)

40 HP = 19.8 knots
60 HP = 24.3 knots
70 HP = 26.3 knots
90 HP = 29.8 knots
100 HP = 31.4 knots
115 HP = 33.6 knots

There's a guy in NJ on Craigslist selling a pair of 2013 Honda 50s for $2000 each, they do have 1500 hours on them. I know that's too far for you, but tempting for me.

Nickh

Lieutenant
First Name
Nick
24ft 90 horse. Tops out at 34 knots.
What do you want to go......40+?

CB7E8A3F-D5B5-410B-8E86-4429C87B142C.jpeg

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Haddock

Captain
First Name
Mike
Boat Make
23' Maritime Marine Voyageur
Thanks haddock. Right now there are others in need due to the economic fallout caused by Covid 19. So right now I would as for members to hold off on sending me money to finish Tip Jar. Spend it at a local business to help them recover.
Jerry,

I do understand your position. While my kindergarten teacher wife has been employed full time during this pandemic, I have been laid off and called back to work 3 times. We started Take Out Tuesdays to help out local restaurants and I always have been a shop local supporter instead of the big box stores. I am in the last 2 years of my planned employment with the opportunity to try to help others. Your post about taking the day off from work to "teach" your kids about the flag just hit home for me. We had no money to take vacations or do anything when my 2 kids were born and raised. I used my yearly vacation time to volunteer in their schools, go on their field trips and help coach their sports teams. And I still don't know the rules of soccer :) Anyhow, I see a younger version of me in you and wanted to help; I didn't get the same help myself. I can say that both of my kids love being on the water with me still, whether we catch anything or just enjoy the time together. As my dad would say "focus on what's important" and don't worry about the rest!

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User
Top Bottom