Toe rails, cockpit coamings- I don’t need/want them- do you?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Reading this thread just now and what a great job they did building the coosa toe rails- https://downeastboatforum.com/threads/molded-toe-rail.40168/

The whole thing just reiminds me me that every time I see cockpit coamings (the part that sticks up above the deck around the cockpit) is just in the way of sitting on the gunwale comfortably, creates a tripping hazard when stepping in or out of the cockpit and creates a weak point in the fiberglass (top edge is always beat up). I can see on a fishing boat with low gunwales why you might want them but aside from that why do you guys like them? I think they are leftover from the wood boat building days.

Same for toe rails- all of my boats have had bow rails and didnt need them. Just a bunch of holes in the deck to worry about and they channel spray/rain down the side of the boat near the engine room intakes usually rather than just letting drip off. Also, in the way of sitting on the gunwales around the cockpit. Lobster boat with traps sliding all over I get.

Thoughts?

Look at any new sportfish- flush side decks around the ‘pit, no toe rails. I think they are onto something. (Teak doesnt hurt either)

AFBAF05E-1C27-4252-B621-9A2BC99132EE.jpeg

OLD BAY

Admiral
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
Hmm, interesting question about toe rails. I believe on the Wasque they covered the deck-hull fasteners, although the toe rail was integrated into the rub rail, so maybe the rub rail was more important in that aspect. I can’t recall if the deck-hull fasteners were on the side or top of the joint now… maybe side the more I think about it.

I do use the toe rail to hold onto when hanging off of the side (cleaning, climbing aboard) and quite a few tools have been saved from the deep by my toe rails over time. I have to admit, when I’m crawling along the deck I like the tactile feeling of the toe rail, it lets me know where my foot is without looking and gives my feet extra purchase when rough.

Henry

1st Mate
Boat Make
Duffy 31
I believe that toe rails and coamings are holdovers from the days of sailboats. As the boat heels the toe rail keeps your feet from sliding overboard and the coaming keeps water out of the boar.

Alext123

1st Mate
First Name
Alex
I like the toe rail on outside of washboards. I keep my gaffs and harpoon there and don’t roll off the side. I did remove the combing from inside of washrail for comfort.
Also removed bow rail, seemed it was more a tripping hazard than a help

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I like the toe rails that run from the bow to the end of the house. Not a necessity, but nice to have. As mentioned above, there are several good points to having them.

Top Bottom