Top shot, what is everyone using ?

leaky

Admiral
Jinkai 150# mostly in smoke blue, usually 130# flouro on one rod - Bullbuster was good for the $$ on a bulk spool of such flouro and has performed well for me.

Jinkai 150# works great if you like leaders in the 130# to 150# range, uses same LI crimps, not losing anything strength wise topshot versus leader. Sure you could run 180#, 220#, whatever leader for abrasion reasons just if you run 80# of drag I would not chose 150# mainline.

Flouro topshot has it's neat features, one of them being it really really wants to sink and is tougher. Perfect for down rods. But on a weightless floater 100 yards away it's stupid, bows down in the water. Is a nice thing to have around on one rod if everyone on board understands & has their head screwed on, annoying if there's a trend of lacking attention to detail.

JasonD

1st Mate
I fished 80s only so I used to love 130 Suffix Superior broke at 190 wasn't as expensive as Diamond fit really well in Jerry Brown. 100 fathom call it good

leaky

Admiral
Really w/ mono - outside of liking how it handles, trusting it, the key thing is look at the diameter.

Brands and styles vary on line rating versus diameter. Typically thicker stuff for the # rating will way over-test and thinner stuff breaks closer to it's rating.

With Jinkai the 150# is closer to a 150# break strength, and I like how that handles as well as the heavier versions. But I dislike the lighter versions of Jinkai - I do not use it in anything < 150, has this tendency to turn into what I can only describe as silly string. So I use a different brand for lighter stuff.

capetuna

Deckhand
Really w/ mono - outside of liking how it handles, trusting it, the key thing is look at the diameter.

Brands and styles vary on line rating versus diameter. Typically thicker stuff for the # rating will way over-test and thinner stuff breaks closer to it's rating.

With Jinkai the 150# is closer to a 150# break strength, and I like how that handles as well as the heavier versions. But I dislike the lighter versions of Jinkai - I do not use it in anything < 150, has this tendency to turn into what I can only describe as silly string. So I use a different brand for lighter stuff.
I agree, don’t look at what pound it’s rated at look at diameter. 175# jinkai 150#hi catch 130#diamond are all 1.28mm. Momoi likes to advertise that diamond breaks at 200% of stated line test when they are really just taking 200lb line and labeling it 130#

jbg108

1st Mate
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
Roughpoint
200 Diamond. 250yds to start and cut it back to about 200 before replacing.

leaky

Admiral
200 Diamond. 250yds to start and cut it back to about 200 before replacing.

That's what I like as well, although depending how busy we are, we might let them get down to 100 yards before pulling the plug on the topshot.

I like long topshot, makes it so you never have backing out there in the water except when fighting a fish, so even if a fish takes it down rubbing on the hull all the way to the bottom usually they are still in the topshot when they get there and you need not be questioning if there's damage to the backing.

Top Bottom