Topsider Oil Changer

Ripcat

Commander
I've got twin Yanmar 4lha-stp's and i'm thinking about buying a Topsider to do my oil changes. Boats new to me, oil was changed when I bought it but nearly time for another change. I don't think i'll be able to get the full capacity of even one engine's worth of oil into the Topsider without having to dump it into a larger container but I don't see that as an issue.

Any thoughts on the use of the Topsider? Effective or is there a better alternative out there? As always, I appreciate the input.

pugsley

Captain
is it one of those pump up vacuum rigs? they work alright on gas motors, but if i had to change oil in a diesel, i would get one of the 12v oil changers,

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Find one to borrow to see how it works for you on your engine. God one thing I didn't like about Volvo's is how they get the oil out with the Dipstick, I think some Yanmars, or alteast my old 6lya-ste's did but that was a decade ago...

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
I started with a pump one, 2 oil changes later I got an electric. This year I went from the bucket one to the one that's like a Jerry can. Anyway this one is better than the bucket one. The pumping worked fine but the pump always would tip the bucket over if not full of oil.

Ripcat

Commander
After spending all of 5 minutes on the interwebs I found a nice 12v pump at Hamilton Marine for $20...buy a few 5 gallon buckets for $10...cheaper than the Topsider manual system.

Thanks for the redirection fellas

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
The Yanmar has a threaded dipstick bob for standard hosing. The system works very well as the slide tube for the dipstick touched the bottom of the pan. Make your own as shown in the photo. Just a pump and a 5 gallon can real simple. Also depending on your engine mounting you do not want to put too much oil in the motor. Too much will put pressure on the rear pan seal. It is better to run a little low that high. Drain the motor and start filling it up once the stick reads full stop! Even if you are not at the rated amount. They are great motors. When pulling the HOT oil out make sure your fill cap is off to you pull in air to avoid a vacuum. The small stick on the starboard side is more accurate.

storm 080.jpg

storm 079.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom